Monday, September 16, 2013

Lord of the Segments, Pt. 7

Not much to report today - did the practice thing, then ran 5 with the boys. We discussed issues related to tomorrow's ride and the Natchez Trace event. There was also discussion regarding Saturday's benefit ride. That's about it. I am loving the weather - I can't remember enjoying exercising this much in a long time. 

With that said, it's time to turn back to the story. 

Lord of the Segments, Pt. 7
There was an almost inaudible “beep!” as the small face lit up. An unearthly glow reflected from their faces as incandescent greens and blues radiated from the sinister device. Suddenly visions began to rotate across the screen, first unintelligible jumbles of numbers, then graphs, and finally a map. A map! Not all was recognizable to Jimmy, though Normdalph knew all at once. A cold hand traced a deathly finger down his spine – his worst fears were realized.

“What is it? What does the map show? I see Bedfordton, but what are these other places?” inquired Jimmy, who failed to see Normdalph’s anguished expression, and was overcome instead by child-like curiosity.
“Never mind that now,” said Normdalph, “I have business I must attend to. I’m afraid I’ll be leaving right away.”
“Leaving?!” cried Jimmy, “you only just got here!”
“I must. And I have bad news. So must you.”
“Me? Why on Earth would I leave Bedfordton?”
“Because you are no longer safe here – or more precisely, Bedfordton is not safe with you here.”

This turn of events was quite unexpected. What had been the thrill of discovering unexpected treasure had turned to stark fear, fear of the unknown, of a fate beyond the safety of the only town he’d ever known, a fear of being cast into the wild and subject to whatever fate his frantic imagination could devise.

“Where am I to go?” Jimmy asked after regaining some composure.
Normdalph laid a reassuring hand on Jimmy's shoulder. “There is a small village not far from here. You will pass through a different town first, and there you will spend the night. I will arrange for your lodgings. You will know the inn keeper by her red hair. The name of the inn is ‘Wendy’s’.”

No comments:

Post a Comment