Monday, March 31, 2014

"A Happy Intersection of Need"

Those familiar with the title quote know its origin... I coined this phrase to describe how what Jimmy needs (usually) turns out to be the best for everyone involved - or perhaps he's simply very good at selling his viewpoint.

The situation arose again yesterday when Jimmy commented he could not make Tuesday's ride because of a meeting. Turns out Allen has one too. The weather looked best for tonight, there were guys free, so guess what... we rode pace line tonight. (For those interested, I will be riding again tomorrow night, providing it isn't raining.)

During yesterday's ride I told the guys (Scott, Jimmy, and John T.) I would not be time trialing - it was going to be a pace line ride only. I even went as far as to post those words last night. At the time, Scott's comment was, "Even if the wind is strong out of the southeast?" I took it as a joke and laughed it off.

I got off work this afternoon with the idea of lifting, running, then riding. I had just enough time to squeeze it all in if I hurried. The first phase was running beautifully, then I looked out the window. Spotting a flag across the parking lot, it appeared as though the wind was indeed strongish out of the southeast. Scott wasn't joking?! Now I had to rethink things.

If I ran, the opportunity to capitalize on perfect time trial conditions would be lost. This is no small thing - a night this perfect happens maybe once or twice a year at most. True, I have ridden almost 240 miles in the last four days, a pretty big week, but these nights can't be squandered. No matter how it came out, I had to try. I would kick myself later if I didn't.

Six of us showed for the ride - Jimmy, Allen, John T., Scott, Rand, and myself. There was a bit of a rush on things because of the regularly scheduled Monday night swim. With that in mind, I offered to help pull the crew out to the start (into the headwind), though I stated I wouldn't take it all the way (I normally might). I really wanted to take a hard crack at King Troy's KOM, and I could not afford to blow out the legs on the way out.

John T. took the first turn, for a couple of miles. By the end of his pull Rand and Allen had popped off the back. I'll own this part... when Jimmy asked what we should do, I said keep going, because Rand and Allen were together, and I doubted either had a big appetite for what we were doing anyway. Neither were alone, so no harm was being done (yet).

I took over after John T., pulled a couple, then Scott did an amazing 20+ mph pull up the stair steps to Bromer, into the wind. He doesn't give himself enough credit for how well he rides. Jimmy did his turn, passing to John T. one final time.

The four of us were waiting for Allen and Rand, but lo and behold only Rand came rolling in. Now I started to feel bad, because I'd make the call to leave them. Rand said, "Allen said 'Go on, I'll turn back up here'." (Hey, catch that tricky use of nested quotes?) Oops. Maybe we should have waited.

I flat out asked what they wanted to do. I suggested a time trial for everyone, because it was absolute ripe for the taking. What was there to lose? It wasn't a hard sell, and in turn everyone went for it.

Rand, least fresh of us all, turned around and headed out. Jimmy didn't let him get to the end of the drive before he followed. Scott gave it a more, and as he pulled onto 337, who should come into view but Allen! He hadn't turned back after all - Rand was a liar!

John T. and I decided to wait until Allen got to the tree - it was the only cool thing to do. Allen, ever the thinker, correctly divined it would be pointless to come all the way to us and turn back out. He hit the county line, turned, and was on his way.

John T. let Allen get completely out of sight before he left. I gave him the same courtesy. John T. looked great all the way out, in fact has looked very strong the last few times we've ridden together. I wasn't sure I could close the distance, much less catch him. It was something to chase.

There was a tail wind, and though it died quite a bit by the time we got to the tree, it was there. It wasn't enough to really blow the first leg up all that much, maybe lifting me a mile an hour. It wasn't until I hit the top of the first climb that I actually felt it at all. By then I was clearly closing on John T., steadily if not quickly. He was the only rider I could see at that time.

I was focusing on key things... keep the leg pressure on, control breathing, ride the race line, check for the next rider, drink on small downhill glides... and in the back of my head I knew this time trial would come down to how much speed I could hold on the climbs. Troy is strongest there, and that's the best chance I had to pull time out of him.

One by one the miles ticked away, one by one the riders came and went, one by one the hills challenged me. The first I topped in the 24-25 range, good, but not good enough. Lost River I maintained better until the very top (which is where I caught Jimmy). I laid back down, and for a short time felt a bit of headwind (John T. mentioned this too). By the time I hit the rollers I was back upwards of 29-30 mph, and had but one challenge left.

I thought I might keep it above 20 all the way, but right at the top the speed dropped off. No problem - over the top and it was back up to 30+. In the final straightaway I held right at 30 most of the way in. I was very confident at the end it was one of, if not THE best effort(s) I've ever done. I also felt confident it was likely a KOM. I had several mile splits under 2 minutes, several just above, and even including the hills, most of the time was in the upper 20's range. It was a solid effort.

Everyone rode well. John T. and Scott both had best times, John T. moved to 3rd place overall. Jimmy snaked Rand by one second, and Allen, injured leg and all, had a very nice ride a few days after one of the biggest riding events of his life (so far).

So thanks, Jimmy, for bringing your concerns and needs to us. As usual, the solution to your problem benefited everyone. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment