Friday, March 28, 2014

Palmyra!

Things were getting desperate. As of yesterday morning, the week had yielded exactly zero biking miles. Waiting for the good weather to appear had been a total failure; it was clear Mother Nature was having nothing to do with outdoor exercise plans, at least in a positive way.

My hand was forced. The forecast for the rest of my break looked grim, and there were miles to be made. There was only one thing left to do... spin. Oh, how I despised the idea! Once I get outside, I don't want to get back on the trainer for anything, but that's what I had left.

My plan was to stay on the saddle as long as I could take it. I absolutely had to have 40, needed 60, wanted 80, and hoped for 100. I was successful in getting what I wanted, but not without cost. The ride really sapped me, worse than I've been hit by a ride in a long time. I'd considered forcing my way through another 20 miles, which would have been a huge mistake. I was trashed, and there was the matter of at least another 70-120 miles to be done in the next three days.

I finally caught a break with the weather, or I steeled my resolve, because today's forecast altered significantly from rainy to sunny but windy. No matter what, I was going out, and it was going to be as long as I could take it. There was no way to tell how long that might be after yesterday's workout, but it was a risk I had to take.

I left the house thinking about making the Washington County line on 337, and perhaps going all the way to Milltown if I felt up to it. There were plenty of opportunities to turn around if I needed, a couple of places to stop for supplies, and I hadn't done this route in a couple of years. That all changed once I got to Highway 60. I turned east toward Spring Mill, and the going was so easy I decided to take it to Salem. Sure, I was going to pay for it later, but I wanted to get buried deep enough in the course that I'd get the miles no matter what. How far? Well, Salem is 34 miles from my door step. If I felt good once I got there I could go down 135 to Palmyra; if not, I could turn back and I would be at my minimum distance for the bike week.

While it was mentally tough to be out (at first), physically it was a piece of cake. I blew through Salem, cruised all the way down to Palmyra in what might be the easiest 50-miler I've ever done. I never got caught at a light or anything - I clipped in at home and unclipped at the gas station in Palmyra.

It was a quick turnaround. I didn't want my legs to seize up, I had a time limit (Leisa was waiting for me for supper), and the wind was going to be there no matter what. It was time to pay the piper. I sent Leisa a text and told her I had three hours of hard riding left (it had taken only 2:33:00 to get the first 50). That seemed about right.

Heading out of town, things really didn't seem all that bad. Yes, there was a headwind, and there would be pretty much all the way home. However, outside of the occasional gust, it didn't hold me back as much as I feared. The second 50 miles took around 2:40, not bad at all. I made great time on Highway 60 from Salem to Mitchell. After that, my neck was done with aero. It had been right at 87 miles of it to that point.

The rest of the ride was a snap. I didn't push anything, just cruised. I hit 100 miles right at 5:14, one of the fastest training 100's I've ever done. Coming the day after a brutal 80-mile trainer ride, I'm extremely pleased.

No riding tomorrow! Looking for 10 miles running. I don't have to, but I think I'd like to take advantage of the weather Sunday afternoon. I'd like to ride a bit... 20 miles would make my 200 for the week, but I'd certainly be happy to take that up to 50 or so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment