Monday, March 17, 2014

St. Patrick's Day

A kid told me at school I was going to get pinched today - I had no green in my clothing. I bet him I wouldn't, and I didn't. Such is respect! (or loathing)

I didn't wear green on the lift or run either, but they went well. I've stripped back the lifting a bit, and I like the balance. I still get the essentials, spend some good time on core, and don't leave feeling like I am coming apart at every joint. I even tried a bench psuedo-max the other day to see what I could push at the end of a workout. I was surprised by the result, really. Not going to drink the Kool-Aid and go hard lifting again, it's just nice to see I'm on the right track.

After the run yesterday I tried to lay around as much as possible to recover from the previous day's long ride. I was pretty tired by the end of the day, and my legs were tight. It was a good call, because today I was scheduled to run 10 miles. There was no telling how that might go, considering how difficult it was to run yesterday morning. All there was to do for it was to leave the house and start rolling.

It was slow, but not terribly so to start. The first mile was 7:45, and given how poorly I felt yesterday this was a surprise. How much more so the next two miles, 7:04 and 6:56 respectively. It slowed a bit after that as I considered I planned to run 5 more. So at the midpoint the run stood at 36:15 or so.

Jimmy, Miller, Heatherly, and Bartlett were there to run the second part, Jimmy planning to go the full 5. That was fine by me... I needed to go slow and careful. Jimmy actually looked pretty good, running the equivalent of a 42-minute 5-miler. Considering what he's been through, that's great stuff.

I wound up with almost 79 minutes for 10, quite good when I was hoping for 80 minutes. Sure, it's not fast, but it's faster than it's been for a while. I'll take that.

We are riding tomorrow from Spring Mill, 5:45. I'm going to try to get there early enough to pick up another 20-30 miles ahead of time. It's a busy day with several doctors' appointments, so this is all subject to change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment