Saturday, March 22, 2014

Calling it Early

I know I have averaged good numbers on the riding all year, and traditionally I try to bump my mileage up at Spring Break, but I need tomorrow off. Never mind I'm a little short riding this week - I need a day off. Haven't had one in a couple of weeks, and it's starting to show.

It's been hectic all week, what with the stress level in the building being so high as it always is the week before break, doctors' appointments, weather... I've just come up short. Can't stress about it. It is what it is.

The running side of things went very well. I managed three 10-milers in one week, completing my 30 for the week in only three days. It's one of the highlights of the week for sure, because this pattern will allow me to balance training enough to earn a day off every week.

Take today for instance. It started with a 10-mile run, then a weight/core workout, and finally a 52-mile bike. All told that's over 5 hours of activity, and it was mentally tough to face through the first 2/3's. If the argument is it makes you mentally tougher, yeah, maybe it does, but it's also a sign of failing to rest. One rest day a week can make all the difference in being mentally prepared to face the big days. Everyone wears down after a while.

I was able to train with a few of the guys today and Allen is kicking the idea around to have Strava challenges for different aspects of our biking. I like it - it's similar to the challenges we had a few years back with our "Wendy's Cup". The awards could be as simple as stickers for the bike or helmet, but I was thinking maybe of a traveling award for some of the bigger challenges. How about a traveling car magnet for the sprint king every week? I can see that already... pulling into the Spring Mill lot, winner walks up to the previous owner's vehicle, swipes the magnet, and says something like, "It's mine NOW!" Love it.

Anyway, I think Allen is looking for input. Or maybe just approval. You never know with him. I have an idea for an award, but for now, I'm keeping that under wraps...

No comments:

Post a Comment