Monday, November 17, 2014

First Snow Run of the Season

November 17th, and we had a 2-hour delay. November 17th. I can remember only one other time in my teaching career where we had any sort of weather-related delay/cancellation, and that was maybe 20 years ago. It was October, and we actually had a snow day. I remember it because we were getting ready for the Lincoln Fall Carnival, and I was in charge of the haunted house. Two days before the event school was cancelled. That was an aberration, of course. I sure hope today was too.

We did run tonight - that is, Galloway, Heatherly, Bartlett, Rand, Roy, and I did. It was slick, no fooling, and the wind was decidedly unpleasant when running to the west/northwest. Fortunately for us we didn't have to spend too much time that direction. It was uneasy running all the way, no matter the wind.

Everyone is talking about the next big thing. Funny, isn't it, how having a good event makes you want to look forward to the next thing? It's fair to say everyone had a good finish to their respective seasons, and that makes a great launching point for the upcoming year.

Jimmy has staked the first claim with his "Tempo-Tuesday" revision. He's pointing at the marathon distance, or half if your name rhymes with "Galloway". He wants to work off Galloway's projected race pace, except extend the run out to the 10-mile mark (eventually). I wouldn't call that a tempo; it's more of a steady state run. Whatever, let's not get caught up on the jargon. Jimmy has a plan, and we can join or not join on our own accord.

Galloway asked me tonight if I was thinking about sub-3 at Louisville. I'd be a liar if I said it hadn't crossed my mind. It's not much of a leap of logic to envision the realistic possibility of the breaking the barrier given the ad hoc training I'd put into this cycle. It's something I'll mull over, but there is much scheduling to work around before it becomes a realistic proposition.

Two-hour delay tomorrow? I'd count on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment