Friday, November 21, 2014

Today or Sunday?

I'm for sure running Saturday, that plan was set yesterday. My weekly plan is for six days running, one day rest. Having run Monday through Thursday, planning for Saturday too, I had to decide if today or Sunday would be the day off.

I ran tonight. It's the smart play, given Sunday's weather is supposed to be so bad. Sure it will be warm, but it's supposed to rain and storm all day. Might as well get it over with today.

Not as easy as it sounds. I'm always blown by the end of the work week, and like to take Friday off. Things sure followed form today, and the last thing I wanted to do was to get the shoes on and run. The weather was calm, actually the best day of the week so far, the time was there... why not?

I did the circle thing. It actually wasn't that bad. I've always found that, for the most part, if you just put on your shoes and get out the door, things will ultimately come around sooner or later. It depends on how quickly the mind can focus on the right topic to carry the run Sometimes that's about work or family, sometimes racing, and sometimes it's just about good old form.

Not to sound overly complex, but I'm always monitoring form, even when in groups or the mind is mainly on other things. It's a habit I developed in my running heyday, when most of my running was alone. Trying for your very fastest 5k effort means leaving no stone unturned, and form is easy money. I never ignore it.

One of my favorite form assessing tricks is to watch my shadow. If the sun is behind you and you have the shadow in front of you, it's easy to see shoulder sag, arm carriage, and bounce. It's not everything, but it is a view you don't ordinarily see.

Back to tomorrow's run... 8 AM, Parkview. 

No comments:

Post a Comment