Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Only 3

That's right, only three stalwarts braved the elements tonight. Jimmy was notably absent, and for the second night in a row the elements seemed all the harsher because of it. Like last night, the wind bit our faces as we headed out. Luckily that only lasted a bit. It is hard to believe how cold it is so early this year.

Darkness sure falls fast now. By 5:30 we are definitely into twilight, and by 6:00 it is dark. It gets worse when you consider we are still a full month until the Winter Solstice. That means we'll be losing daylight every day until on or around December 20-22.

We talked tonight about the Jimmy plan. Alan wanted clarification. Once again, my understanding is 7:10 pace for one mile the first week, and every week after that we add a mile until we reach 10 miles. I would take the time here to clarify my statement last night about it not accurately being called a "tempo". That type of run is based on time and heart rate, and Jimmy's planned run is both too long and too easy to classify as a tempo. It doesn't really change anything though... it's a plan, and there's nothing wrong with it for the goal in mind. Call it "steady state run" and you have it.

It's still rest time for me, but that is ending soon. The trainer will be set up, and I will begin riding very soon. I'm not looking forward to it very much. This is going to be a maintenance year, I think, and goals will be scaled back a bit. If I race well, great. If I don't, great. Other things will have to take a higher priority. 

No comments:

Post a Comment