Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Resuming training

I think we are all in the same place. Most of us are within a month of huge race efforts, and the letdown in training has been both nice and corrupting. After even a short step away, it can be hard to believe what level of training you took just a few weeks ago, and the thought of climbing the ladder again can be staggering.

Baby steps, my friend.

There is no need to pop things right back up to full-bore - in fact, I would counsel against it. Better to bring it up in stages, running first, for instance, then the biking and swimming. I would also suggest a little lifting or (dare I say it) Yoga. If you're going to add something unique to your training regimen, now is the time.

My plan is shaping up thusly - I will run 30-45 miles per week by the end of the year. With another marathon looming in April, I will shoot for 45-50 miles per week running after the start of the year. Biking will be greatly curtailed this time around, more in the 60-100 mile range per week. I will not chase the Fondos this year! I will swim if I feel like it, when I feel like it. Lifting will be three days a week. This is pretty much scaled far back from last year, which was an Ironman year. This year is not, so it's time to rest.

Running tomorrow and Saturday. I will add either Friday or Sunday, depending on which works best.  

No comments:

Post a Comment