Sunday, May 13, 2012

Biking takes over

The last two days have been bike-heavy. Yesterday morning Dan, John T., Jimmy, Galloway, and I rode from Parkview to Huck's and back, a total distance of 43 miles. It was a coolish start, but since there wasn't a wind to speak of, and since we took it very easy, the ride was no problem at all.

John T. sported his new wheels, a set of Zipps. He snagged them off eBay, and they appeared to help a bunch, especially in the looks department. We have some really fast looking bikes in the club this year! Even Galloway was talking about a carbon Fuji he was eyeballing...

There was a short run after the ride, three miles. I didn't feel a thing on the calf until we were nearly done, and even then it wasn't much. Still, I won't be doing Terre Haute. It doesn't make any sense.

After the run, Leisa wanted to try out Rand's bike. I took her back down to Mitchell, choosing to park near the entrance to Amish country. It was only 11 miles, but I think she enjoyed it quite a bit. The only scare she gave me was when she dropped onto aero position halfway down the fastest downhill on the course. Oh man, I thought she was going to buy the farm! Turns out her only discomfort of consequence was saddle soreness. Welcome to the club, my dear, welcome to the club... everyone goes through that...

Today we started with a run, a regular 5. It wasn't fast either, though I was tired enough to make it seem less than easy. The forecast rain hadn't really yet arrived, and it looked as though it may hold off for a while. With that in mind, and since no one talked as if they'd be at Lighthouse at 2 PM, I decided to ride in the morning while the gettin' was good.

I did go ahead and lift before riding. It works out pretty well to do the Sunday lift right after the run, mainly because there is no one in the gym at that time, and I can get circuit training in without distraction.

I went from my house to Huck's, just like yesterday. A Milky Way and Diet Coke was my reward, and on the way back I gave myself dessert by going off course. Taking a side track, I explored a portion of the Orleans bike tour. Wow! I found a pretty good sized hill. I can't see us taking this path often, but once in a while, it might be a nice change. If we're looking for a hill for repeats, I found it. It's a 40+ mph job, and close by.

The rest of the day was spent in Mother's day activities and then laying about a bit. Nothing much to brag about for sure.

Tomorrow will be just a run. I've ridden four days in a row, and I'm a little tired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment