Thursday, May 10, 2012

The one good thing...

Tonight was a bust in many ways (kind of like school), but one good thing did come out of it... the ride.

I hit the bike as fast as I could. I left work and set a land speed record for getting bike-ready, then I flew south. There was a light north wind that pushed me south, and I knew my time would be fine going that way. Coming back... would I have the gas to hold it? Was I still as tired as yesterday?

Tired - yes. As tired as yesterday - no. I sustained the motion, reaching home in a total time of 55:30 for 20 miles. That's 21.6 mph, a fine ride, and I was happy to have it. I'm even happier to be able to consistently nail 20+ mph on a course that has as much climb in it as does this one. Removing the cut would certainly add to the average, but that's too easy!

Stopped at the Hardee's drive-through on my way out to the track meet - a mistake I'll not make again. What is it with kids now? 10 minutes to process one person in a drive-through line? That's a bad business model no matter how you slice it. Bad part is the new tacos were quite good. Too bad I'll never take the time to get another. I have no patience for workers that don't give a crap about work ethic. That boy figured out if he hurried through this car, another one would pull in right behind it. Why rush if the pay is the same? Pay 'em by the car, says I.

The track meet was delayed. If I'd had any brains, I would have lit out of there, gone to lift, then came back. I've never been accused of being smart, so I wasted a load of time doing nothing but enjoying the sunshine. I guess that kept it from being a total loss... it was a supremely pleasant day.

Tomorrow... I have to lift, that's for sure. I will either ride or run, not both. I think maybe ride, allowing my calf to rest some more. I wore compression socks all day. Early in the day I could feel twinges, later not at all. Since I am out of Terre Haute, I think the smart move is to come back to the run slowly.

Ride and run Saturday, 8 AM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment