Monday, May 7, 2012

It's torture

To have time, desire, and a window of weather to train and to turn away is awfully hard for me to do, but that's exactly what happened tonight. When school released there were storm clouds to the east, which didn't matter. Those to the south were slow moving, and I would have been clear of them in no time. It wasn't wet or too hot, and the wind wasn't awful. It would have been easy to get a ride in, much more so a run.

But I'd promised myself not to train either the ride or run today. I don't want to run again until Wednesday and even then only a short way. The calf trouble I experienced last year was quite sobering, and if that can be avoided again, just about any price is worth it - even throwing away a perfectly good day to train.

There is the big picture to consider. Boston was less than a month ago, I did a hard 5k a week ago, and Indy was this weekend. Throw in I'm considering a hard triathlon next weekend, and I'd better tread carefully here.

I'm not worried about being able to bike at all - that will be fine. There is however a better than average chance that my calf will blow in the run portion of the race. Mulling it over, I don't know it's worth the risk. I'm going to reassess Wednesday.

There is another wrinkle, of course... I've been called up for jury duty. I'm supposed to report on Thursday. I don't know if they hold court on Saturdays, but if they do, it makes the whole thing moot.

Went to swim tonight, the only workout I did. It was quick, then it was on to helping Allen. He did very well tonight - he actually swam complete lengths of the pool adding up to 350 yards total. He didn't stop once on any length until he reached the end. That's a huge accomplishment! Once he settles into a comfort zone, the distance will stretch, mark my words. Can you say "Claude"? I thought you could.

The calf is only slightly sore today, and walking is no trouble. Riding didn't hurt it a bit, in fact helped it, so I think tomorrow should be a good day for pace line. We'll have a northwest wind (light), which will be a direct headwind, but let's face it, we aren't going to go over-the-top hard on the first ride anyway. Mike and Miller won't be there either, so a good deal of the power will be missing. It should be an interesting event. Perhaps a time trial?

Spring Mill, 5:45, upper lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment