Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Book keeping and such

About the mysterious text you all received tonight - I purchased an app for iPhones that allows you to make groups for texts. I needed to have it set up for cross-country, but also find it handy for arranging our little get-togethers. I'll try it awhile and see how it serves. I don't really want a listserve deal, so if it turns into that, it'll get dumped.

Our first speedplay workout of the summer was conducted under sunny skies and cooler temps this afternoon. Jimmy, Dan, Galloway, Kathy, Robin, me, and eventually Ryan all took part in the exercise. We ran down to the start of the tempo course, then ran the measured half mile back-and-forth 3 times (3 miles total) before running back. Total distance was around 5.5 miles.

The purpose of the run was to begin working on and retaining speed. One of the things we often ignore over the summer training is running speed. This year, with Cicero being the big race, that 5k speed will impact the results a great deal.

The half-miles were not all-out. They were to be uptempo, maybe 85% effort. My suggestion was to run hard enough to be unable to talk. There would be enough of a break to allow everyone to regroup, then we'd go again. This worked out to around a minute or so rest for the front group, less for those behind.

The splits were 3:16, 3:20, 3:10, 3:15, 3:08, 3:06 for an average of 3:12.5, or 6:25 pace. Erratic? You bet. We were targeting 3:22 as a starting point, a total guess for what we needed to do. I found I had to keep hitting the brakes. By the end I just let it go.

Jimmy and Galloway were a bit behind this pace, closer by far to what we set as the goal, but both were under it. Galloway was right around 3:20 if I heard correctly, and Jimmy was 3:18. Robin was 3:34, and I never really heard Kathy's. Dan didn't discuss it much. He had the least amount of rest, and his comments were confined to "What rest?!", and "3-mile tempo".

Tomorrow... looks like a ride, weather permitting. I'd like 20-40, but that will also depend on my schedule. Last day of school coming, I have adult swim, and the grass needs cut...

For those looking for a handy Excel spreadsheet to calculate pace, download here.

No comments:

Post a Comment