Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Another successful spin

The leg is getting better, though I'm taking no chances. I will run either tomorrow or the next day, either way it will be short, slow, and inside. I'm not about to go out on slick roads and start this process all over again. Uh-uh. I am confident I'll have my miles back up soon enough, and if a week's running is all it cost, especially at this time of year, no harm done.

I'm wishing Jimmy the best of luck as he faces knee surgery again, this time on the mirror-image of the first one. Galloway says knees are like headlights - when you replace one, you might as well go ahead and get the other one done. Smart man.

I waited until later in the day to spin. I know I was off. By waiting my leg got 24 hours to rest, which I felt was smart. There was also a chance of having company on the spin. Only Jimmy showed. I suppose Allen had his feelings hurt yesterday, doubley really, because I didn't mention his name in last night's ride title AND I rode farther.

So the goal tonight was at least 20. After getting there, I would reassess. There is a method to the madness: I've signed up for a Strava challenge, and it will require 40 miles a day (almost) average for eight days. I won't actually do it that way, of course... more like 60/40, but I'm getting the mind ready for the average. The body won't have any real trouble with it of course... it's the boredom of sitting on the saddle for so long that will be the killer. I will be off during the challenge, so I can even break it into two rides a day, morning and evening. That seems a bit more appealing.

ANYWAY... I wound up with 30 tonight. I'm quite happy with that, as now I have logged 80 miles in the last three days. My refurb 510 worked flawlessly, even after I added my heart rate monitor. Here's hoping the problem is solved!

Back to the lab tomorrow. I won't run at Jimmy's, so it'll be an early start for me. Jimmy and I plan to be riding by 5:15, though I'm sure I will go much longer. Jimmy has a workout appointment at 6:30, but don't let that stop you from joining in!

No comments:

Post a Comment