Wednesday, December 25, 2013

20plus13-run-v1Festive-500-2013-v1
Okay, there are two Strava challenges of importance going on this week. The first is an easy one - run 33 miles in a week. That one should be a piece of cake, provided I don't get hurt again. I already have 22 miles of that done, so I'm not worried about getting 11 more in 3 days. I'll get 5 of it tomorrow morning. 

The second one is the challenge - 500k of riding in 8 days. That's 310.69 miles... let's call it 311 miles. This WILL be a challenge. That's slightly under 40 miles a day, so yeah, that's going to take some work. What makes it truly hard is it will be done almost entirely inside. 

I already have completed some of it. I have over 100 miles in the bag in two days. That shouldn't make a person cocky though, because any endurance athlete knows the real work comes from the midpoint on. Everyone looks like a world-beater in the first portion; what happens when you get tired?

In some ways I have one hurdle cleared already. Christmas day appeared to be a tough one, because of all the family stuff going on. I would need around 2.5 hours to get in the mileage (by the time I figured in travel). That's a lot of time ripped out of a day when there are three family events. I knew there would be breaks, and I vowed to make the most of them. 

Before the kids got up, I went to the gym and lifted. That's right, I lifted too. Then we opened presents, sat around for a while, then I went to the lab for spin #1. 

That went well, thanks to Denny's Chappelle DVD's. "I'm Rick JAAMMES!"

Went to mom's house for a bit, then sure enough there was time to move again. Back to the lab and spin #2, and even longer one. Combine these two with yesterday's 54.5 miles and you have over 100 miles!

The way I see it, I am up 20 miles. I plan to run and ride again tomorrow, hopefully for 40. If for some reason it doesn't work out, I only have to hit 20. That should make the whole thing go down easier when the time comes. 

Run at Parkview at 8; spin after. Swim in the PM? 

No comments:

Post a Comment