Wednesday, December 4, 2013

More trouble means luck for Troy

I talked to Garmin today. The guy tried to flowchart me, but I've been down that path before. I could finish his sentences before he could, which expedited the process. Sure, it might have been rude, though I wasn't going out of my way to be that way. I was on prep, and due to their hours it was the best time to call. My time was short, I didn't have time to mess around.

The short of it is they are sending me a replacement unit. I will mail mine back in the next day or so, which will get my deposit back. I updated the firmware last night to the latest (2.70 to 2.80), and I wanted a test ride. There was no real hope it would fix the problem since this update was pretty cosmetic, but it was worth a shot. On top of that, I left the computer running for 2 hours on my desk at work and it never froze. There was every hope it might work.

How wrong I was. In a little over a mile it froze. I was running a stopwatch, so I would at least have a time on the ride. I knew the distance ahead of time because I knew the course so well. It wouldn't be optimal, but it was an acceptable back-up plan.

I stopped only once to fix the Garmin, and I figured if it died again, I would ignore it. Almost 7 miles later it died. So I was almost halfway through the ride with a dead computer and I came up with the stupidest plan I've had in a while - I'd see if I could get it going long enough for a try at the highway 37 segment.

This was dumb on oh so many levels. The obvious was the Garmin; what's more, I've ridden 5 days in a row, and run 5 days in a row. I'm tired, my legs are worn out, so there wasn't any real hope of getting it. I guess I just wanted a reason to ride hard.

It started off very well. The Garmin started up, and I was flying down the highway. About 2.9 miles in and 5:52 on the clock it stopped working. I was approximately in front of Appleacres, the hardest part of the stretch, rolling at 29.2 mph. I'll save you the trouble of working out the average... it was 29.65 mph and would have gone up as soon as I hit the light, where the course turns downhill. Guaranteed KOM. Except for the dead computer. The real kicker: I could have worn the 305 and gotten the data on back-up. I even thought of it on the way out the door, but didn't think I had the time to wait for the 305 to acquire satellites. Dang.

So I will be borrowing Jimmy's 500 for a few days until the refurb 510 comes in. He's too kind! He's also a savior - I hate warranties, and I hate the mail. One is a hassle, and the other is too slow. Put them together and you get a slow hassle.

The run later went well. Scott did drag us (Roy, Nathan, and me), which we all knew would happen. However, I didn't suffer, either in the hip (too much) or any other way. As tired as I am, it went pretty well.

The lift later was a bit tougher. I was smashed by this point. Think of it - for 5 days I've done 3 workouts a day (run, ride, lift). My caloric intake has not gone up to compensate. I'm always hungry, and I bonk rather easily. I want to ride that line a bit, because if I can get through Christmas with the weight under control, the battle is won. Much easier to start January already at or about target weight than to be 10-15 lbs. over.

The next few days will be interesting. We are going to get snow, I don't think there's any doubt about that now. It's only a matter of how much, and how much ice that will go along with it. And that, my friends, brings the outdoor riding to an end for the foreseeable future. If it gets really bad, it will also end outdoor running for me. I have no intention of injuring my hips. That's why I have a club membership, after all.

IF the swim meet gets canceled tomorrow night, and that looks like a very real possibility, I think I'll take the Cannondale over to the Energy Lab...

No comments:

Post a Comment