Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Grrr!

The day I bought the Garmin Edge 510, I should have had my head examined. The first time it locked up, I should have sent it back. Fortunately, it's not too late to correct both mistakes.

Today's ride was the last straw. Three separate times the device powered down and restarted, wiping out everything I'd just done. It was a good thing I was on a known course, so I could at least manually enter the distance and time, but this is not acceptable. If the device doesn't work, it has to be fixed/replaced.

I have factory reset it and updated to the latest firmware. I will ride it one more time to determine my next step. If it misbehaves at all, I will call Garmin even as I'm boxing it up. That sucker will go back lickety-split. I've been assured by both Miller and John T. that Garmin support is good. I guess we're about to find out.

The ride itself today was frustrating not only because of the Garmin, but because I got caught by a train on Woodville Road. That never happens, and today, when I'm behind schedule, it happened. Here's the bad thing about that... that crossing is 11 miles into a 20-miler. If I turn back, that's 22 miles, an extra 6 minutes. If I wait, it's the extra whatever it takes the train to clear the tracks. With no end in sight, I took the only option I could be sure of - I doubled back. I was home right on the 5 o'clock hour, just enough time to get ready for the run, but not without some stress.

The run was fine - at least the 305 is reliable. It might take FOREVER to find satellites, but once hooked up, it works. Well, except for the race in Indy. No biggie. I would have been tied for 5th on Strava for the course, but no biggie. Who am I kidding, that was a biggie. Dangit.

It has been hectic the last two days, and it would have been easy to push the ride off until later. Glad I didn't. The forecast for the end of the week looks disastrous. The numbers keep getting revised, but we're looking at inches of snow plus ice. And... just like that, outdoor riding will be over.

Tomorrow I will try to ride and run again. And lift! Don't forget the lift! If that all gets accomplished, I will have 20 miles run, 80+ ridden, and I will be well-positioned for anything that happens. That's the plan.

Here's hoping the forecast is wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment