Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Cooler weather, hotter running

I'm getting fired up a bit, I guess. Two triathlons successfully completed out of three, and the big one to go. Admittedly my vision had been limited to making All-American (officially), but today two events occurred, disconnected but tied together, that may have altered my field of view.

At lunch with Leisa, our conversation had rambled around various topics. This often happens as we catch up with events, which sometimes are separate (as we have separate interests). Out of the blue she says, "Before I forget it, if you go to this race in Wisconsin and qualify for the Worlds in some exotic place, I want to go."

This caught me completely off guard, mainly because I couldn't figure out why it would even be on her mind. I assured her there were two main reasons it couldn't happen: first, I couldn't make the cut, and; the worlds were bound to occur during cross season, meaning even if I could qualify, I couldn't spare the time. I dismissed the conversation from my mind as being so far-fetched it didn't garner serious consideration.

Later, as I arrived for my second run of the day (13 miles total), both Rand and Jimmy asked me if I was going to Worlds. I couldn't believe this conversation came up again in the space of a few short hours, but once again I began to dismiss the idea as ludicrous, applying the logic there was no way to meet the standard (which admittedly I didn't know).

"You only have to make the top-18."

Wow. Just... wow. Now I have to seriously consider this possibility. Top-18 in my age group? At worst I figured my chances were 50/50. Alberta, Canada isn't that far a place to go to, either. This just might happen.

Jimmy and Rand both knew the times that made it last year - something that hadn't occurred to me to look up. When I got home I decided to look up the results of last year - just to get an idea, you understand.

18. Michael Lamie Duxbury MA  52 M  swim - 23:39 T1 - 2:23 bike - 1:05:12 22.9    T2 - 1:46 Run - 43:16  6:58 Total - 2:16:14 





OMG! That's about what I swim with wetsuit, I bike and run faster... and there were several times above that level that were similar. If I have a normal day... make the odds 70/30. Now I have to really think about this.



I asked both Rand and Jimmy if they would go if they qualified. Rand hedged, tossed some thoughts out there, but was definitely non-committal. Jimmy on the other hand instantly responded, "YES!" That would weigh heavily in my decision whether or not to go, but it sounds like it could be a great road trip. 

First things first... gotta qualify...

No comments:

Post a Comment