Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Fine Five

Galloway couldn't be too displeased. Despite riders showing up at the very last minute, we only missed the official starting time by 3 minutes. That must be some kind of record!

Ten riders started tonight, though James was once again on call and had to peel off before we hit 337. That left nine of us to head off to the county line for the harder work.

I say harder work because we didn't intend to do hard work. Two guys had big races just a few days ago, and most of the rest have races coming this weekend. That being the case, the original plan was to ride two groups, both of which would try to be as close to 22 mph average as possible. The closer of the two groups would be the winner.

It didn't take long for the plan to fall apart. First, no one seemed to want to commit to a group. Next, I could tell the 22 mph was too low a number for a couple of the riders. Actually, I thought about it and decided, under the weather conditions we had, it would be far too easy for me. I'd have to ride the brake to hold that number, which made no sense. I decided I'd relax on the number, and in order to facilitate the start, I'd say so right away.

"Anyone wanting to go a bit faster than 22 go with me!" I said. I lined up to go first, saying that anyone that wanted to ride with me needed to get in line, because I was leaving. And then I left.

Getting to the start I could see four guys trailing behind - Troy, John T., Greg, and Miller. There was a very slight headwind, not much, but there. I let my legs ease into a 25-26 mph cadence, with occasional drops below to the low 24's through Bromer and ultimately down to 21 mph over the first hill. I took it back up to 25+ and handed over.

Troy was next, and he did a fine job pulling an almost identical leg. He held it for a long while, giving over to John T. John kept it at the same level. His pull wasn't quite as long, but give him a break; he did just complete his first Half-Ironman on Saturday! Great job, John T.!

Greg wound up with Lost River, and he carried us across the valley and up the bridge hill at just under 20 mph. He looked very much improved over the last time he rode with us, pulling both faster and longer. He tapped, Miller took over, and carried us over the final hill. Miller too has improved a great deal, riding much stronger than before.

I got the lead back again for the final mile. I held 26-27, then shortly after the break Greg made his move. Greg, Miller, John T. cruised by, though not quickly. I jumped on John T. and rode along. John T. saw me join and waited. I felt strong enough to try to cruise by, and as I did John kicked again, leaving us for good. I was going 30 mph, not really pressing hard and not willing to. I wanted to pass the other two guys, and that accomplished, I settled.

It was right at 25 mph, and I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was as seamless a pace line as we've ridden this summer. When a rider came off he moved to the back and attached, no hesitation for the group, just off and back on. Great job guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment