Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Why not?

Allen started contacting me about 1:30. The weather was falling apart, and he was looking for a way to complete the ride before the rain started. There was obvious wisdom to his planning, but alas, we waited too long. The line moving in from Illinois was massive and building. The forecast for thunderstorm activity seemed to be spot on, so I agreed to try to sneak it in. However, as the agreed upon time to ride approached, it became obvious the line would overtake us long before we could complete the workout.

If it had been anyone else than Allen (or Lester) I might have gone anyway. Unfortunately I was already blamed (rightly so, I suppose) for the stormy ride we had earlier in the summer. Kedra had been somewhat forgiving of me for that episode, though I endangered the lives of two of her favorite people. I couldn't risk it again. I told Allen we'd best wait to see if it would blow over.

Of course it didn't. The front parked itself right over Lawrence County precisely when we should have headed to the gathering. One by one riders begged off via text, and though I resolved to go anyway, I doubted anyone else would show. It didn't matter; I was going. It's taper, and some things need to happen in a timely fashion. I felt this was a critical workout, so if I could make it happen, it would happen.

Roy, Scott, and I were the only people to show. Scott hopped out of the truck thinking run, as he was garbed in running attire. I suppose Roy was too. When I started unloading my bike in the light rain, they both looked at me with slightly surprised expressions. "Are you going to ride in this?", they asked. I explained I'd done more in worse, and figured I'd give it a shot. I guess I shamed them into it, because within minutes we were all loaded up on bikes and ready to go. On time I might add, Mr. Galloway!

We batted courses back-and-forth for a few minutes. I said I didn't know if a hard ride was possible, they said they didn't care to ride hard in this stuff, so we considered our options. In the back of my mind I hadn't yet given up on a time trial, so I suggested going out the regular way. We could always change our minds later if necessary.

As we started, they mentioned Jimmy had been planning a time trial today. It made sense. We are at the end of the season for some, and it's good to get a check on progress. If I was going to do it, today had to be the day. Next week is the week of the peak race, so I wouldn't do it then. After that, I probably won't get another chance to ride on Tuesdays. Now or never for me.

On the way out Roy pushed the pace all the way (once on 337). We had to string out a bit because the roads were soaked, traffic was steady, and the bikes threw up quite a bit of water. I'd judge Scott's rooster tail to be about three bike lengths (or the size of a Toyota Corolla for you triathletes), so I laid way back. Looking at the road on the way out, I knew it was dicey. There was a lot of ponding water, and any misstep could be disastrous.

Pace line was out. There was no safe way to do it. Time trial was the best option. At first the other guys didn't seem interested, but like me, I think the testosterone started to kick in when someone committed to going hard. I said flat out I was going for it no matter what - the worst that would happen is I wouldn't make it (actually, the worst that could happen would be to die in a tragic slide-off-the-slick-road style crash into a barb wire fence). That's infallible logic, so we were set.

Scott went first. That was a hard one to judge, because I don't think there's much difference between Roy and Scott in terms of speed. Roy is in better bike shape, Scott is a better climber. This was going to be fun.

I went last. There was a minute between every rider, and I honestly wondered if there was any way to catch them.

When I got onto 337, I saw Roy way off in the distance. Way off. He was clearly riding much better than before, and it didn't seem possible to get to him. Regardless, I laid over the top tube and got to work. The speed was good, but not impressive. Clearly there was no tailwind assist, so this would have to be done the old fashioned way. I kept the pressure on, and by the end of the straightaway I'd closed quite a bit.

Through Bromer I could see the gap was closing, but it wasn't rapid. Steady, not fast. It wasn't until we'd topped the first hill and were in the next section when I caught him. Even then, I didn't smash by him. It was work. I set my eyes forward to scour the landscape for Scott.

I was using the whole road, taking the straight lines, the shortest distances, yet trying to avoid the larger puddles that covered the road in places. I focused on these because I figured that would improve my odds of finishing without a nasty wreck. I finally got to Scott in the Lost River Bottoms, though he too was pushing well.

I half imagined he would overtake me on the climb up Lost River Hill. Even if he did, I was confident I would rebuild my speed and overtake him again in a short time. (In another year this may not be possible!) My speed quickly returned, and I was left only with the last series of rollers and the final hill.

It went pretty well. I couldn't really read my Garmin easily because the rain drops covered the display, distorting the readout. I went by feel. Speaking of feel, my lungs felt fine, but my quads were still a bit sore. I pushed them anyway.

I'd checked my time when I hit the start and again at the finish. It was 1:05:35 at the start, 1:27:50 at the end. That's 22:15 on the preliminary, which would be a season's best if it held. It did. That equates to 26.9 mph, and a 2-second PR (season) for the KOM.

Roy went 24:32, good for 24.42 mph. That would have to rank as one of his best rides this season.

Scott didn't get his time. His Garmin has it, and when he uploads his ride tonight it will show up on the segments. I'm betting it was a good one. (Let me check... there it is. 25:16 for 23.7 mph) This would be a PR for Scott.

On the ride in, Allen met us on DNR road for an impromptu photo session. Roy put me up to mischief I quickly regretted... Kedra was in the car. Sorry!

We were all soaked when we got back, and since no one had brought a change of socks, we canned the run. It was all good. It was a good meal and a good time. Man, I'm going to miss our Wendy's after a hard workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment