Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Huge pace line night

If I counted correctly, there were sixteen riders starting tonight, including more women than ever before. Kathy, Arlene, WinD, Lori, Jamie, and Leisa all took part. It was a cool thing to see.

Many of us are coming off a weekend of strenuous activity. Allen and Strunk did RaIN; Jimmy, WinD, and I did the Red Eye Relay. With that many riders feeling less than peak, and with the near 100-degree start, there wasn't a great deal of enthusiasm for going especially hard.

Lori, Jamie, and Leisa turned before Lost River Hill and headed back for the brick - a walk in Spring Mill. Arlene, Kathy, and WinD turned at Bromer, and pushed the pace coming back in a psuedo-pace line (they were packed, if not three inches apart). That left the men to carry on to the tree.

As usual there were two groups. Well, three if you count DfO, who shot off before we even organized. He called out, "Catch me". We did.

The first group left, leaving John T. and Jimmy with me. We planned to ride 25 mph, and if things weren't going well when we caught the other group, we'd join them. I was going to take long pulls (John T. suggested I pull all the way).

After a minute or so we began our chase. The wind was indeed favorable, and the agreed upon 25 mph was easy. EASY. Still, I said 25, so I was going to stick to that. Before long it became apparent the other group was leaving us. They were soon out of sight, something I couldn't have.

I was still on the front, so I set my mind to closing it down before I got off. I lifted the pace a little, listening for complaints from behind. None came. More and more it lifted, still no complaints. Still, the other group was out of sight.

When we got to Lost River, we finally caught sight of them across the valley floor. I was certain we could catch them, though it wouldn't be easy. If we pressed across the valley and took the hill hard, we'd be pretty close, if not past them. Through the valley we held nearly 30 mph, and still they were nearly atop the hill before we entered it.

We took Lost River Hill at over 20 mph, topping at 21, and down into aero we went, the pursuit fully engaged. I could see that, whoever was on the front, the pace was being driven. We were being held at bay by some aggressive riding. But it wasn't over yet.

Into the last hill, it was only a matter of time. I could see the gap closing, could feel the line ahead drawing closer, and we drove up the last hill over 20 mph again. At this point they had 50 yards. We topped 30 mph, and still the gap closed slowly. I now knew we would overtake them right at the sprint break line. I wanted to use that point to skit by at the call, avoiding anyone jumping on.

Too bad Mike spotted us so far out. He kept looking back timing the jump so that as we went by, it was child's play to jump on. A couple of others went as well.

I was on the front in the final stretch, 32.9 mph, pressing in a steady fashion. This time I had no doubt someone would go by. Who? John T. answered with a slow but steady approach, then pass. I started to put in a harder effort, then Dan went by as well. That was that. I was done. That's pretty much my top speed, even with a tail wind. I didn't really fade, I just couldn't go faster.

We finished at 22:13, a very good ride given the start was very tame. There is little doubt we'd have broken 21:30 if we'd gone after it earlier. Coulda Shoulda Woulda.

We topped it all off with a sub-par service at Wendy's, but a great time of fellowship. It was super to have the wives along, and I hope it's something we continue moving forward.

Ride Data

No comments:

Post a Comment