Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Unusual pace line

First, I want to apologize to John T., Miller, and Jimmy. I broke protocol tonight without warning, and for that I am sorry. It wasn't without reason, which I will explain.

Today's weather could best be described as volatile. With temperatures nearing 100, dew points in the upper 70's, and high humidity, it wouldn't take much to make something bad happen. That something did happen in the form of daytime heating of the Earth's surface, creating columns of air rising quickly, dragging the moisture-laden air with it. Since it is rising so fast, the column of air soon reaches altitudes where the air temperature drops dramatically. Here's the important part - once the air cools below dew point, the moisture has to condense into clouds, which quickly thicken into the large thunderstorms. The formula is simple; superheated, moist air + sunshine = pop-up thunderstorms. The higher the dew point and outside temperature, the more violent the storm.

Whew!

Before we even started the ride, the pop-ups were happening all around us. There was even a severe thunderstorm warning issued just northeast of us. I warned the group to be on the watch, because we could easily get caught out. After all, it was about an hour to the turn. These storms can come out of nowhere in 20 minutes.

We did manage to get all the way out to the tree, and turning around, it was obvious we'd probably get caught. The whole northern horizon seemed to be tinged dark, the northeast being the worst. Still, we had to go back that way to get to the cars. There wasn't any time to waste.

We had a dozen riders for the pace line, and eight went with the first group. Miller, John T., Jimmy, and I went after, though we didn't wait as long this time. The weather was closing in.

Since we left early, we caught them early. Actually, we caught up with Dan first. Jimmy pulled first for a couple of minutes, well I might add (24-25 mph) despite the winds that swirled capriciously from all directions. I was next, and while on we caught Dan, probably right before Bromer. I was holding the 25 Jimmy set, and called for Dan to get on. Why? The weather. I didn't like the idea of him getting caught out alone. If he could be encouraged to get on, we might be able to get him back to the first group.

Unfortunately he couldn't hold on. I pulled until we topped the first hill, leveled out, brought the pace back up, then tapped. As I passed back I spotted Dan. He wasn't that far off, and I made the snap decision to go back and try to bridge him up. I just couldn't leave him out there. Weird thing though... and I didn't realize this until later... I didn't notice DfO wasn't on, and honestly, I didn't even see him behind Dan.

Dan pulled himself onto my wheel, and we started out. The first group was tantalizingly close, and it seemed for a time we were going to get it done. Then suddenly the gap began to open again. I wasn't falling off, it picked up. At first I thought the two groups had merged, and I suppose in a way they had - Jimmy jumped out of one group and got on the other. The truth was Galloway took over the front, and from that point on catching Dan up was doomed.

Finally, at the top of the big drop, the writing was on the wall. Dan couldn't be pulled any harder, the first group was pulling away, and there was no way to catch them. Looking at the sky, I judged we were probably at least going to finish the pace line safely. We were about four miles out and moving well enough. I could also see John T. and Miller across the plain below, and wondered if there was any way I could chase them down. Worth a try.

I left Dan and set out. Glide down the hill, hit the pedals hard across the valley, time trial. It felt like Sunday all over again, with the hard pursuit of riders strung out ahead. I caught the first group on the climb out of the valley. They were in complete disarray as they rode uphill, and I swung far left and moved quickly past.

Over the top, I'd halved the distance, but time was running out. By the time I hit the rollers I'd halved the distance again, and it was becoming clear I would probably catch them soon. As we entered the early part of the final hill, I caught. I had a lot of smash built up in the chase, and as John T. had just tapped, I went by and yelled, "Latch on!". I pulled until the break hill, then continued on. Inevitably, Miller eased on by me, not needing to lay much out. I tried faintly to jump onto his wheel, but there was never any danger it would work. I carried 26.5 throughout the final stretch, and that was all I had.

Ultimately I failed to help Dan get back to the group, but I can say he got a good workout! I got a good one too - not the one I planned, but I worked pretty hard in the chase. We also all made it back to our cars just as the rain started to fall in the park. Naturally there was no run, so it was an early trip to Wendy's, where we sat down to our usual fare.

Jimmy is planning a big workout tomorrow. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, though I suppose I will do it. Ugh. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment