Tuesday, July 3, 2012

We rode, then left

I had time for a short ride this morning before leaving for North Carolina, so I invited Dan and Galloway to join me for an early 20-miler. Though it didn't rain last night, the air was a lot cooler than the day before, perfect for a quick spin and back from Mitchell.

Dan seemed on his game again. He pulled us out to the turn, then we headed for 37. From there I brought us back to the 50/37 light, where we turned back to Dixie Highway and toward home. It seemed like we'd just started when we arrived back at my house.

We didn't leave quite as quickly as I thought we would. Family stuff and all, but I wish I'd have gone ahead and completed a short run. Next time I'll know.

The drive south wasn't too bad. The Ohio River Bridge is still down to one lane going south, and that caused a half-hour delay. We were slowed again once by construction and another by rain, but other than that, the trip was pretty smooth.

Things were closing up when we arrived, so we went to dinner and a movie. Texas Roadhouse was good. The movie, Spider-Man, maybe less so.

It's not that the movie wasn't well produced, cast, written, directed, or any of that stuff. I'd rate it top-notch in all those departments. In fact, the casting of Emma Stone as Gwynne Stacey was brilliant. The lead actor, and I admit I've already forgotten his name, just didn't pull it off for me. He was literally too... spidery. Angular, lean to nearly Auschwitz refugee proportions, it was too much visually. I'll admit, this is a problem only a comic purist would have - and to those that are, you understand how perfectly Toby McGuire was Spider-Man physically. The new guy was unsettling.

I'd still give the movie 4 out of 5 carBooms, if for no other reason than it eliminated the bizarre wrist web spitters of the Toby McGuire series. This one got it right... Parker, a science whiz, invents web shooters.

It's nowhere near The Avengers, but it's still good summer cinema. The characters have been introduced, now it's up to the writers and directors to develop the series to its potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment