Monday, May 27, 2013

A very busy weekend

There hasn't been a lot of down time these past three days. Other than the nap I took this afternoon, it's been pretty much go all the time. Here is a quick recap of the weekend.

Friday
I didn't exercise. It's a good thing. I left work and headed over to the park to help set up for the Duck Derby. I didn't have anything strenuous to do, mostly just gopher work, at least until the event actually started.

A lot of the details seemed to get made up on the fly. For instance, I didn't know I was supposed to hold a bucket and beg for money out front. That got added at the last second. I was glad I was in costume though - most of the guys had some kind of something on. Plus the kids really dug the Batman cowl.

The actual belly buster contest was anti-climactic. Of course I got robbed on the scores - c'mon, I threw a reverse into a belly buster, easily the most acrobatic move of the event. Two 8's and a 9? Please. I do have to give it to the winner though... that was a clean, flat hit off the high board. No argument, that was the winner, pure and simple.

Haley and I did a beautiful synchronized dive as a bonus. You saw the pics yesterday, I won't repeat them.

Saturday
That was a 44-mile ride followed by a 5-mile run. John T. and Galloway passed on the Huck's stop (Galloway hates to stop, John T. had to get back in a hurry), but the rest of us enjoyed a time of fellowship in the pit stop. The run afterward wasn't too tough. The day, which had started rather cool, had warmed to an almost uncomfortable level by the end of the run. Worked out pretty well.

Sunday
The Lean Steve got off right on schedule. First swimmer (me) hit the water right at 3 o'clock. It was a wetsuit affair, so times were pretty good. I did a mile under 24 minutes and felt great. I think Rand also completed a mile. Beyond that, distances varied.

The one major event of note in the swim was Allen making it all the way to the buoy and back unassisted. That's a major milestone, in case you don't know.

The ride was 25 miles. I thought we might be pushing our luck, but we weren't. We got off slightly before the scheduled 4 o'clock start, and with a little pace work in the middle, we were able to hit our numbers. The group did fracture a bit here and there (it always does), but I don't think anyone was crushed by the ride itself.

The run was also right on time. Right away three shirtless guys took off from the front (Miller, Josh, IronBill). Two of the guys were just strolling, one of them was hanging in there. It couldn't (and didn't) last forever... in the third mile, the real runners laid down the hammer, and the pretender was left in their wake. For my part, I want to point out my Garmin said I went 5:57 at some point in the run. I'm sure that was the third mile as I tried to get back onto their wheel. Miller claimed they couldn't have gone too fast, because, and I quote, 5:45 "is pretty close to my max". I almost spat diet coke out my nose when I heard that one. Try 5-flat, Miller.

Today
We started today with the run. Five miles from Parkview, then we moved to Lighthouse. Dan met Allen and me, and we had a very easy ride out and back. Nothing too descript about it.

Pace line tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment