Sunday, May 12, 2013

Don't panic, a bit of a pause

No, I haven't stopped writing again. I've just been very busy again. The last three days have been a blur in many ways.

Friday was the final day of ISTEP for me, and I really don't think I need to go much beyond saying there were plenty of things to do at school, and honestly, when I got home I fell asleep. After that it was family stuff. Simple.

Saturday started with a ride. I will give my compadres major kudos for sticking with the plan It was cool, only 50 degrees, overcast and slightly threatening rain. Not one single man faltered. The seven of us struck out for God's country to the south.

It's a 44-mile circuit from Parkview to Huck's and back. We played with some slight variations to help alleviate the affects of the NNW winds. They weren't overly powerful, so no one fell completely apart. Scott, new to riding, was ready to be off the bike by the end, which is totally understandable. Jimmy was starting to feel it too. Everyone else looked fresh even to the end.

What followed was a 5-mile run. Scott obviously recovered, because he took right off and pulled the pace the whole way. Roy gave chase, but by mile 3 or so was beginning to give way. Rand looked really tough. The rest of us held in there. Jimmy had a meeting at 12:30, so he did only 3 miles. We all ran 3 together, then a few of us went on and finished the 5. It was a great training session.

The rest of the day I spent with Leisa just knocking around. There's no one I'd rather spend time with. We capped the day by watching "Django". I will give it a solid "meh". For a Tarantino movie, I was disappointed. It dragged on too long, too.

Then we come to today. We started the morning with an easy 5-mile run, which went smoothly. After that, I went to the gym and lifted. Yes, the shoulder is still hurt. There are things I can do, and things I can't. I will continue to try to rehabilitate for the time being, but this appears to be headed down a surgical path. Not during the summer, probably during the late fall or winter. I don't want to miss tri season or cross season.

Roy had planned to ride with me today, and we had a great plan. Too bad he had to bail. I had to come up with a new plan, and quick. I decided to head southeast, not because it was smart - the strong WNW wind actually made it foolish to do so - but my thinking was it might be better to have an easier way out today so I would be tempted to go longer. Once out, I would do whatever it took to get back, and I knew it. I know, it's a stupid way to ride, but hey, whatever mind game gets you on the bike is a good one.

I got to Mitchell quickly as one might well imagine. It was obvious to me that I could best take advantage of the prevailing wind by getting on Highway 60 and heading east to Amy's Birds. From there I could turn south, hit 337, then turn SE again and head to Livonia. Maybe from there I would go to Saltillo or maybe Hardinsburg. I'd decide when I got there.

Turns out I did neither. I was making terrific time on 60, so I checked my watch. It was Sunday afternoon, traffic was light, why not take it all the way to Campbellsburg? I could stop and get a sandwich, then continue on south on Saltillo Road, hook into 337, and continue on. Seemed like a good idea. I flew down 60, easily averaging over 20 mph sitting up. Sure, I knew it was awfully quiet. Sure I knew it was way too fast and way too easy. I just let it go anyway.

I had my sandwich at the truck stop in Campbellsburg. I was able to slip some texts out to Leisa assuring her I was doing fine (ATT is spotty there), then it was time to roll again. I decided I wanted to go ahead and ride to Salem. I hadn't done it in a while, and the going was so easy. Might as well. I could either take 56 back to Livonia or 150 to Hardinsburg. I'd decide when I got there.

I hit Salem right at 33 miles. Of course doubling back would give me 66. That would've been a good ride, but I was hoping for more. It was 10 miles to Livonia. Hmm. From Livonia it's 13 miles to Huck's. From Huck's it's 22 miles to my house (through the Amish Super 2). I was coming up with 78 miles with this path. I had hoped for up to 80. Sounded like a plan.

The two drawbacks became immediately obvious - hills and wind. I'd never taken 56 out of Salem before, but I'd guessed it would be hilly, at least until Livonia. It was, but not overly so. The wind at times was vicious. After I got home I checked - it had been clocking over 30 mph at times today. I believe it. I'd call it a steady 15 with gust around 30. My front end kept blowing around, buffeting, and yes, at times on downhills it worried me a bit. Too bad. I had a guaranteed 23-mile stretch into before a break (Huck's), so the only thing for it was to hunker down and go.

It was hard, I won't lie. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. It's a pretty stretch of road, with plenty to look at, and in spite of everything I was able to keep decent speed up. I finally got to Livonia, then turned onto 337. This part went fast, not because it got easier, but because I've ridden it so much I automatically segment it into smaller, acceptable pieces. Before I knew it I was rolling into Huck's.

Another quick stop, another barrage of texts, and I was back on the road. Every stop reminded me how cool it was outside, especially now that I was riding into the wind. I kept telling myself I'd soon be off this road, headed north, and the wind would ease.

Boy was I wrong.

The second I turned north the wind intensified. What was a WNW turned into a NNW, and buddy let me tell you that's a very significant point. Now I was looking at 19 miles of tough left. It seriously put me to mind of Steelhead, that's how bad the wind was. Amish country was to be no fun at all today. It got a bit better after I turned east, and by the time I was headed north into Mitchell, I had some cover. There were still some bitterly bad patches left, but none of the ride was left as wide-open as Amish country had been.

So in the end I rolled in with a bit over 78 miles. The average was a little less than 18 mph. I don't care. Today, that was a good ride.

Course and splits.

Run only tomorrow. Pace line on Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment