Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Resuming training and jerseys

Once again, rain threatened as school ended today, causing me pause. I wanted to ride a little bit, but the way the weather was popping up (north-to-south), my normal route would be risky. I would be riding away from building weather until the turnaround, then riding back into quickly diminishing conditions.

Fortunately for me, the decision was made for me. House chores had to be done, so a ride that didn't have to happen didn't happen. It's fine, as we'll be out on Saturday morning. I might even sneak a little in tomorrow or Friday. Either way, I'll get my miles. Bet on that.

We did run tonight, 5 miles at 5:15. By "we" I mean Scott, Jimmy, and me. It was a little more brisk than normal, but we had after all dropped the dead weight of Miller and Rand. It sprinkled on us a bit, nothing serious (if you discount the lightning that would have made any Denny disappear instantly). 

I've been complaining a great deal about my shoulder. It hurts, in a knife-like way. It is getting better, but good enough to swim at Terre Haute? I don't know yet. However... I have nothing to complain about in comparison to two of our friends. 

First is Galloway. His knee is in bad shape. If I understand correctly, he tripped playing golf. He quipped that "34 years of running culminated in falling at the golf course"... I dunno. The immediate thought that occurred to me was there are probably more people dying on golf courses than people on runs. I don't have any data to back that up, but my gut tells me it's probably true. Anyway, it may be a while before Tim can get back out there.

The other person is Steve Black. The price of avoiding a dog on a bike ride tonight was a 3rd degree separation of his AC joint in his shoulder. Surgery will happen tomorrow, but obviously he will be out for a while. That's really too bad. I was looking forward to seeing him next weekend at TH. Can't see that happening now.

Suddenly my shoulder feels a lot better.

Jerseys
I've done a little digging. Here's what I know:
  • Jerseys cannot be nylon; polyester is fine, or polyester blends
  • We could all probably pick up jerseys for as little as $30-$45
  • Terry Mullis would set up a screen for $50
  • We would pay $3-$5 for each jersey screened
  • If 10 guys buy jerseys, that would make the cost around $40-$55 per jersey
Now maybe there is a way to do it cheaper, and maybe there isn't. I leave that research to others. However, and this is the important part... I need to get some idea of what an order would be. By that I mean a commitment to purchase. Can we get 10 shirts? More? Less?

No comments:

Post a Comment