Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Tired, and with good reason

Lessee... rode Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Ran Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Swam Sunday. Lifted Monday and Wednesday. Four doubles in five days, and one triple in there to boot. While it isn't nearly as much as I used to do, I'm not as young as I used to be. I'm tired.

I ran 5 after work, as quickly as I could get ready. This wasn't the optimum time by any means... it was nearly 90 degrees and stuffy, and the temperature was still climbing. There wasn't any other way to get it done. Roy was coming to my house at 5:15 to ride, so I had to get it when I could. I didn't push at all - I knew better. The ride would be hard enough. Last night wore me out, and the wind was still pretty stiff from the south.

After the run, I had a little bit of time to drink some fluids and try to recover a bit. Not very long though... perhaps 20 minutes, then it was time to get on it again. I dreaded the idea of getting to Huck's - I just didn't have the gas. I promised Roy at least 20 miles; after that, we'd just have to see how it went.

I didn't feel too badly until we got to the north side of Mitchell, just as the rollers on Rabbitsville Road end and you are out in the open for the first time. The wind was harsh again, and I could feel in the pit of my stomach that if I pushed too much longer I would bonk. Roy bailed me out. He asked me repeatedly if I wanted to turn around. We decided to ride to Highway 60, then reverse. That would give us close to 26 miles.

The way back was much easier - MUCH! I would even call it enjoyable for the most part. It was still a little warm for my taste, but I can't say we suffered. I even held 18 mph going up the cut.

Once the ride was over, all that was left was the lift (and eating supper). I opted to lift first so I could get it out of the way. My ears were echoing in the tell-tale dehydration mode. Even the light lifting session I had before me was going to be a challenge, or so I thought. I was able to control my heart rate, and I didn't have to cut any lifts. Got it all in, and the exercise day was done.

Tomorrow I run, then we swim at 8. That's the plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment