Sunday, May 5, 2013

All Indoors

I hate the trainer once warm weather arrives. It's a necessary evil in the winter, and in some ways I even like it then, but by now I really resent having to resort to it. But what else could be done? Rain at 55 degrees is pretty rough if you don't have the proper gear (I don't), so I can't imagine any other way to go.

I picked a long movie - Lord of the Rings, Return of the King (200 minutes running time) and set to work. I had to get 20 miles, I would have liked 40 miles, and anything above that would have been gravy. I set the drink cycle to every 10 minutes, kept the speed between 18-20 mph, and let it run.

After an hour and twenty minutes my drink ran dry. So, pausing the movie, I got off for a stretch and to replenish my drink. While I was at it I ate a granola bar for energy. Five minutes later I was back on and rolling.

The nice thing about this movie is there are several long and intense action sequences. It's amazing how quickly 10 minutes can go by during such a sequence, and since that's how I segment off a long trainer session, the selection of movie is critical. So on a trainer rating scale I give this movie 10 out of 10 speeds.

I reached my limit at about 160 minutes. My seat wouldn't take it any more, and my toes were beginning to burn. My legs and lungs were fine, but there isn't much you can do to adjust your seating position on a trainer. I took it until I couldn't any more, plain and simple. That worked out to 50 miles, which was beyond what I hoped to get anyway. Sure would have like 60 though.

We start our Tuesday Pace Line rides on, well, Tuesday. We are going to do our first one from Allen's church. Start time is the regular 5:45. Run afterward? No one has said.

No comments:

Post a Comment