Thursday, May 2, 2013

Numbers all around

Four - that's the number of senior girls on the track team.

Three - that's the number of sweeps I saw in their races.

Two - I saw at least two personal best times.

One - The number of races I really wanted to see but was forced to miss.

This night featured three events stitched together back-to-back. First was the senior night track meet, which I didn't want to miss. It started at 5:00. Then there was the packet pickup/pizza fill up at Mr. Gatti's at 7:00. Finally, there was the adult swim session I promised to hold at 8:00.

It was fun to watch the track meet, and I didn't even mind having to set hurdles. The girls are getting healthy, and I even got to see a couple of decent (if unlikely) prospects for next cross season. Morgan Benstin looked good in the mile compared to the fall, and she even out kicked Carrie Flinn. That was amazing, and great news... we have to find someone to replace Shelby Bennett. Danielle had a nice win in the 400, our girls looked great in the 800... I gotta tell you, in the last two meets, our distance girls have done the job.

Off to pizza! Once again, it was a good time to get to sit with my friends and chat, if only for a short while. I picked up the packets I needed (Steve is staged in W!), ate some pizza, then shot out to the swim.

Allen, Galloway, Josh, and Robin met me there. Robin is looking really great in her swimming, and Allen went sans flippers for everything but his kicking set. Bravo! He even accepted Robin's request for a rematch, though he knew he couldn't win. Ah... he has patience. While we were busy congratulating Robin, Allen swam 25 yards and immediately turned for another 25. He almost made the full 50 without stopping. That's some progress!

At home again, I find myself contemplating tomorrow. W, huh? I don't know that I will ever be able to find Dan, as separated as we are. I know I won't make any effort to run hard to do so. It's going to be a very surreal experience back there, but it sure won't be fast. For that reason, I'm thinking of going ahead and getting my final 25 mile ride out of the way. It's not as if an easy ride is going to hurt that run... 

No comments:

Post a Comment