Thursday, May 30, 2013

School winding down - why don't I feel free yet?

Today was it. We shed ourselves of our adolescent bonds and should now be smelling the sweet breeze of freedom. Oh sure, we have to go back tomorrow, finish some paperwork, then leave mid-day, but it won't be much at all. Anyone worth their salt has been working ahead where possible to get it squared away long before the last minute. So, barring any last-minute surprises, it should be a half-day of work.

Why don't I feel free?

Reality hasn't sunk in yet? That often occurs. If you release on Friday, it feels like you are working right up to the following Monday when you sleep in. Then it's real. Until then it's just another weekend.

Is it the race coming up Sunday? Maybe. I don't feel like I can relax completely until that is over. There are a lot of moving parts at the moment, what with school ending, San Francisco on Tuesday, probably the worst thing I could have done was sandwich the race in between. But I did, and it's done, and I'm going. That's that. It'll be hard to rest until then though.

Could it be I'm not sleeping right now? Maybe. Sleep has been pretty broken over the last couple of weeks - stress, of course. I'm hoping I get some laying around time the next two days. That will go a long way to relaxing me. Things have had a way of popping up lately, one on top of another, so rest has been just out of reach. That's when I get most frustrated about it. Anytime I feel like a nap in the next day or so, I'm taking it. May have to make a sign for the upstairs room, though.

So I decided I needed to run again today after school. This wasn't as easy a call as it might seem. On paper it made total sense - it's three days out from the race, I'm short of running miles, I could run easy, and 5 miles would be just fine. The only problem was my legs felt thick, sore, full of lactic acid. They're tired, and they told me so. I really needed to take a day off, they screamed. Too bad. I had to run.

So I started out with a lie on my lips: "You only have to go three miles." Yeah, right. I knew the second I started I'd do five. Maybe I didn't want to, maybe it wouldn't be fun, but I would do it. About a mile and a half into it what do I see? Strunk. STRUNK! And he was RUNNING! I rubbed my eyes, totally in disbelief. Of course I had to assure myself I wasn't dreaming, so I turned back toward Parkview with him. I had to ask questions only a Strunk would be able to answer - never know, this could have been some kind of pod person, and alien impostor of sorts.

He shared that he's been working a lot of hours, and training is almost non-existent. Five to ten miles a week running max is the current standard. I understand he has college to pay off, but I hope he finds time to take care of himself. It's important.

Swam tonight with Allen, Josh, Robin, and Galloway. I have to say, Allen is looking good - REALLY good. He was up-and-down the lane all night long. There was very little stopping either. What seemed an impossibility a year ago is very quickly becoming a reality. Those of you who haven't seen him lately... you're going to be surprised.

Short ride tomorrow. Got to get one more run in, maybe Saturday morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment