Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Price

I won't lie. I can barely hold my eyes open at the moment. It's been pretty busy today, and as we are now half-past 9, I feel sleep overtaking me.

It's no surprise. I didn't sleep much at all last night. Stress dreams were the main culprit, but I'd add a few chigger bites, a very sore shoulder, and a slight sniffle to it. I just tossed all night long, especially after 4:30, when I was pretty much up for good.

So our run went a lot better than expected, not only for me, but for all the Terre Haute competitors. Of course we didn't go fast - we seldom do on Sunday morning - but the complaints of soreness were pretty tame. What was far more noticeable was the heat. It warmed considerably over the last week, and humidity has crept up, too.

The heat was obvious again during the afternoon ride. Jimmy was good for it this time, registering his second Sunday ride of the year. We even had the opportunity to ride with Allen and the ever-talkative Lester, who joined us a few miles into the ride. Allen couldn't wait to grab all the attention, and in grand Galloway fashion clipped into his pedals and immediately fell over into the gravel. I snapped a photo, and though it is hard to see much, I think it captures the moment anyway.

We arrived at Huck's, got our refreshments, then were greeted by Claudia and Judy. They were out on a 60-mile ride. More power to them, I couldn't have done it today. I was totally out of gas.

I was forced to go back to work (someone has to pump out those BMS 5k results!), and as soon as I got home, mowed grass. I finished just as darkness fell. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a wrap!

Run, maybe a ride tomorrow. Pace line Tuesday, if the weather holds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment