Thursday, May 23, 2013

Something clicked, maybe

I don't know what's gotten into me. Maybe I'm motivated by better-than-expected results at Terre Haute. Maybe the confluence of stars is favorable at the moment. Whatever the reason, I've been running harder.

Wednesday my plans were changed by Roy. He wanted another ride, and since I needed another ride to make my weekly goal of 150, I agreed. I didn't want to lose another run, so my plan was to run first. I went out at 4 for a 5-miler. What started out as an easy run became, within 200 yards, a pretty hard run. The first mile was slightly under 7:30 pace... I wound up running the whole thing in 36:27, which of course means the pace really dropped from there. Not that this was fast running by Miller standards, but it's faster than I've been getting on a daily basis.

Roy and I left from my house, taking our time into southwest winds towards Huck's. Dan couldn't make the takeoff time, but I hoped he'd drive down to Huck's and meet us there. I needn't have worried. About halfway down the Amish Super 2 he passed us, with Sally in the passenger seat. Right about the place Burrises go off pavement he unloaded his bike, and we continued on to Huck's.

The night turned gorgeous. For the 2nd day in a row, what had looked in the morning to be a washout day turned into a near-perfect day to ride. Maybe we held only 15 mph. Maybe we sat at Huck's a little too long. It was great, and I don't apologize.

Coming into today, I felt the push from yesterday. It was over 3.5 hours of training, and I felt a little drained. Still, 5 miles would have to be run. How would it go?

Faster than yesterday. This time I wasted not a single step. I was on it from the go, and mile 1 passed in under 7 minutes. Mile 2 was 13:33, so clearly I was accelerating. In the end I ran 33:05, one of the best runs I've had all year. Definitely not easy running, but I didn't feel pancaked.

I suppose this is the way it goes when I run alone. I still have to be careful... it's so easy to blow a calf anymore, and it's always on my mind. However, if I can push it like this more often, who knows... maybe I'll someday be able to run a respectable leg of triathlon...

Oh! Got my invite to the Nationals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment