Friday, November 8, 2013

A change in direction

So the final shoe hits the floor. Clearly with all marathon and running goals accomplished for the year, training now turns toward the next year. The big event tentatively on the schedule is Ironman Louisville with John T. I will train as if I am going, and if things work out, I will; if they don't, they don't. Either way, I will be fit and ready.

Tonight I did a ride for a couple of unexpected reasons. My hamstring was pretty sore yesterday, as well as my hip. Not wanting to miss another day of fitness, I opted to go the non-weight bearing route and ride. Besides, I've not ridden in a few weeks. It wouldn't hurt.

It was a bit cool by the time I got out. The big drawback to riding after work is the end of Daylight Savings Time. It's pretty dark on a clear day by 5:30, and we're quickly losing ground on that. I had about enough time to get in 20 before I was pushing dark, so there wasn't a lot of time to mess around.

Winds were from the southwest but not too strong, so I can't say I felt it much on the way out. It must have helped on the way back, because I ran a pretty good speed down the highway - 2nd best I've ever done, and not by much. I'd thrown it in the big ring, started thinking about things, and the next thing I knew the highway was over. Gotta love that.

Looks like we'll be keeping the Russian. The original plan to keep him temporarily melted away over dinner time night after night. The girls love him (Leisa included), and so, even as my spot as the "Most Important Male" in our family slips from my grasp, I cannot deny them their treasure. He's a good boy, all kidding aside. Better to let him settle in for good than to upset him all over again.

We're running in the morning. I can't talk folks into breakfast, so it looks like a hit-it-and-quit-it deal. 8 AM at Parkview, all invited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment