Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving Eve

Isn't it funny how when you have all the time in the world to train it's the last thing you want to do? I was off work today, and it should have been perfect. I could sleep in, run, ride, and lift, all being accomplished by lunch. It almost worked out that way, but not without hiccups.

It was cold this morning- really cold. My iPhone app said 22 degrees, and even as I was checking it dropped another degree. Brrr. This was just before 8 AM, and right then I knew I wouldn't be running yet. Leisa was awake, so I opted to take her to breakfast. After all, we get very little quality time alone these days. Had to grab it while I could.

It was a nice breakfast. I went for the Western Omelette, though that's not really the best choice for a guy staring at three workouts. I did have time to reason out what I'd do. I figured it smarter to start with the thing that least appealed to me. This made sense because if I waited, I'd just drop that workout. Spinning for an hour appealed the least, so I would start there. The additional benefit was it allowed more time to warm up outside.

I can't say the ride was tough, though I sweat a lot. Like two huge puddles of liquid IronBill lying on the ground under the bike handlebars. My stomach was also beginning to hurt a bit. That did not abate by the time I was dressed to run, and the weather had not warmed much either. The stiff northwest wind cut through all clothing, and by now my back was beginning to spasm a bit. I was a bit dehydrated, and the breakfast sausage had a few bones to pick with me, too.

It wasn't fun, but the run did end, and so all my cardio work was finished before lunch. I still needed to go to Bloomington to pick up my wheel, so I ate lunch instead of doing my lift. I figured I'd find a lull in the gym around 3:30, which I did.

The lift wasn't any more fun than the  run. I'm wasted by now, mid-week and three rides done. I weighed myself after the run, and I'm sitting right at 176 lbs. - the weight I typically race. Sure, I would get a more accurate weight if I'd done it in the morning, but I figure my dehydration was offset by the Western Omelette. Assuming that's correct, I'm a bit amazed. Typically I'm packing on pounds this time of year, not losing them. I hope it continues, though I've no real clear reason why my weight is down. What I do know is I can feel it.

Tomorrow is the Give Thanks 4 run. I will do that, and if time allows later perhaps spin. I want at least one more this week, and whether I get it in a lull in the action tomorrow or Friday doesn't matter to me. I would like to have a day off, tentatively Friday, so my hip my heal faster.

First things first. Run tomorrow, at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment