Saturday, November 30, 2013

A big week

One must be mindful of one's opportunities, whatever they may be. In this case, a 2-day work week left many hours available for training. Though tired, I was determined to make the most of the time left to me.

The sum of the week went to the tune of nearly 40 miles run, 110 biked, and two outdoor rides (with one day to go). I'll also add six lifting sessions and holiday and birthday meals. The run was right on target. The ride was out of the park. I would have been happy with 60 miles, but the time was there. Might as well make the most of it.

The running was interesting. My left hip has hurt most of the week, so I wasn't all that hopeful I'd get the target, or anywhere close. The week was planned with a 10-mile run scheduled for Saturday (today). The plan altered slightly when I ran almost 9 Thursday - 4 for the race, then 4.5 miles cool-down. I took yesterday off running, then came into today planning only to run 5. Time was a little tight, and I didn't think I needed two long runs this week.

So when the run started today, there was a healthy number of people present, the chief players in this drama being Josh Anderson and Scott Bartley. Both of those guys wanted 10 miles, and initially I begged off. But as Scott and I began to break off the group at the start, I had second thoughts. Why not start out as if we were going to do 10? The worst that would happen is I would have to cut off the end, but that would leave Scott and Josh together to finish their 10. No reason not to start it.

So we went, the three of us. I considered my situation; Josh likes to run hard at the start, Scott at the end. Perfect - I was sandwiched between two maniacs! The fears were not to be fully realized, at least not by me. My hip held together, so it was a cruise. Josh was on cruise control. Scott was the only one who professed any form of stress, but he didn't appear to be struggling to me.

Later in the afternoon Allen and I did an outdoor ride from the church. It was in the lower 50's, quite pleasant except for the strong southwest wind. That was okay inasmuch as we would get to ride home with a strong tailwind. That said, it did seem like we were headed south forever.

I had no intention of going after any segments, save one; when Allen changed our plans to include a much deeper south piece, I planned to go for the downhill screamer. Why? It was only the 2nd time I've ridden it, the first being when I made the segment in the first place. With a strong southwest wind, it'd be a great time to try for it. Allen agreed, and we went a bit further south before turning east.

It was worth it. I'm in terrible shape, and I didn't enjoy it very much, but both Allen and I surpassed the previous time. It won't last long; Troy will not long endure such a brazen incursion into his territory, but for now, we own it.

Tomorrow is a run in the morning, a ride in the afternoon, again from the church. The run starts at 8, the ride at 2:30. All welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment