Thursday, November 14, 2013

Sorry about the late post

My writing computer is placed in a central location in my home now, and that means the whole family accesses it whenever. It makes it difficult for me to upload exercise info (which is the worst of it), though I can do some blogging on my iPad. It's not very handy, so I thought I'd wait out my daughters. That was a mistake.

As for the run, I wasn't looking forward to it. It was going to be short, only 5 miles, but my headache grew increasingly intense as the day went on, and my bones and joints were starting to ache. There was no fever, so I went ahead with things, but this is the type of stuff that precedes getting ill. I didn't think the run would be worth anything shouting about.

Nathan, Scott, Jimmy, and Bartlett showed to run. Galloway just showed. His son Chris is helping out with "The Inaugural Bedford Half Marathon", as it has been billed, and there is a meeting Thursday at 10 in the Courthouse downtown. Tim is trying to get the word out, so if you are available, you might drop by.

My move for the run was to go to the back of the pack and stay there as long as I could. My hips were hurting again, and I'm trying to get that under control. I'm still not totally recovered from the marathon, though my training is resuming, so I'll have to be careful with that one. That said, Scott began to lead out, almost right away.

This is the MO (modus operandi to those of you impressed by fellows hurling obscure Latin references into conversations so as to appear smarter); break slightly early, then somewhere along the way really open it up. My internal conversation went something like:

"Let him go."
"No, let him go a bit. You can catch him if you don't let it open too much."
"Let him go!"
"No, Jimmy will only run 3. You can decide if you want to chase him down then."
"LET HIM GO!"
"You not da' boss o' me!"

To the casual observer it looks like I'm a liar - I say one thing, then do another. I don't want you to think ill of me, so let me assure you I'm not a liar, rather I'm a full-blown schizophrenic with slight sociopathic tendencies. There, isn't that better?

So at three, sure enough Jimmy peeled. Bartlett wasn't forthcoming on his plans - is he ever? Nathan had broken with Scott, so that left me to catch. And I did. We did the real 5 too - took it all the way down to 29th Street. It didn't wind up being a scorching run by any means, in fact it was one of the slowest I've done in a while, but it had a couple of up-tempo miles in it. I can settle for that.

That's kind of the give-and-take of running with Scott. Last night I pulled him, tonight he pulls me. My body doesn't want to push, but my head knows I will feel better if I do. While those forces are in play, the competitive spirit jumps in and takes over.

Hey, did I just do a Holy Trinity there? Mind, body, and spirit? Wow. Now I am pushing my luck.

Planning for a ride on Thursday. Hoping for a miracle - sunny skies and warm enough temps to go outside. I am however prepared to do my first spin of the year if need be. Just hope I won't be needin'... 

No comments:

Post a Comment