Sunday, November 10, 2013

Run, Ride, Both Outside

You know when you can get on the bike outdoors this late in the year you're living on borrowed time. That expression's meaning will be manifest this week as we head into the first serious cold snap and possibly snow accumulation of the new season. Tuesday will be interesting to say the least! I don't think it will impact running that much - I just can't see how any outdoor riding will happen for a few days.

That is unless you work for the government. Those guys are off tomorrow, and if your job has flexible hours, you might be able to join those takers for a freeloader's delight - a run and ride on a federally paid holiday. The proletariat will continue to carry the real weight, as we always have - you guys just go have fun!

The day started with a sharp workout featuring Scott putting the hook in my nose and dragging me through 5 miles at 7:10 pace. Normally that wouldn't be too bad, but this morning my sinuses were stopped up, probably a result of the cool ride I did on Friday. My only satisfaction is that he seemed to suffer as much as I did. It was all his fault - I ran behind him the whole way. Like normal.

Later I did a ride. This time it was Scott who put the hook in our noses (Allen and myself) and drug us around. This time I didn't have the satisfaction of knowing he suffered as much as I did, though it was his fault because I rode behind him the whole way. Seems to be a pattern!

I followed that workout up with a short stop at Wendy's, then off to do a core workout (careful planning there, right?). I've been hitting that hard in an effort to stave off the hip and back soreness. It's working, somewhat, and I'm hopeful it will improve as my strength improves. While I'm on that topic, I'm reminded of one of my Christmas wishes. Hold on a sec...

[mic on] "Dear Santa, I want abs so corrugated they make Miller put a shirt on!" [mic off]

Tomorrow is a lift and run day. With luck, I'll get 10 miles running, upper-body lift, and if I get real lucky, a spin. That's the plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment