Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Big changes

It seems the older I get, the less things get settled. That seems to be the opposite of most people I know... usually their lives get more and more routine as they march toward retirement and such.

As most of you know by now, we have an addition to our family - a Russian exchange student named Igor. Igor had a change from his previous arrangement (long story) and needed a place to stay, or it was off on a return trip to Moscow. Leisa could not bear to see that happened, so she texted me, asking if he could stay with us. I simply said, "yes".

The changes in the home were significant only in I lost my hidey-hole. The one spare room we had in the house has now been fully converted to a guest room, or in this case, a new-member-of-the-family room. Leisa's proposal to me was we'd give him two weeks until other arrangements could be found. I'll have been married 27 years this month, and I can promise you, this is not temporary.

He seems a fine young man. His English needs work, but he's polite and studious, and I can't see any way possible for him to be a huge disruption in a negative way. Igor is a bit shy, but we'll work on that. ;)

So here you go... the son I never had? This should be interesting...

As far as I know, this will not greatly alter my training amounts in the foreseeable future - at least, not any more than my daughters did. Igor is a swimmer and attends Boy Scout meetings, but that's not a biggie. No, the real test will be finding ways to immerse him in our culture. He likes to collect coins... perhaps some flea markets?

Who knows, maybe he likes to run? We already know he likes to swim...

No comments:

Post a Comment