Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Alone again, naturally

There was nothing for it but to go on. With another poor night's sleep, there was practically nothing I wanted to do less than run today, but that's what I started with after work. It was the only way. If I had gone to the gym first I would have run short of the mental energy necessary to go out. It would have so easy to say, "Ah, take the night off. You need one anyway." Thing is, it's true; I do need to take a day off this week. It just didn't need to be tonight. If I had taken a day, it's a sure bet I would be sorry later in the week.

One thing I didn't do was press. I kept the pace under 8 minutes, an absolute necessity as far as I'm concerned, but I didn't press at all. The splits on the run were pretty even too, suggesting I'm beginning to find my rhythm. Sure, it's about a minute per mile slower than 5 years ago, but that's 5 years ago. Nothing kills an older athlete faster than his memory.

The left hip hurt the whole run. It didn't get worse, which is good. Still, it's a concern moving forward. I'm kind of wondering how I train for longer races if the hip issue crops up so quickly. Time will tell.

The guys hit the lab again today. Keep it up! It's great so many people are riding so much so early. If this continues through the winter there will be no weak riders in the spring. Sure would make for an interesting riding season next year. Natchez Trace anyone?

Tomorrow I will run, lift, and ride. It only makes sense. I'm off, and there won't be much to do the day before Thanksgiving. On the other hand, Thanksgiving will be VERY busy. Might as well bank some training in case the end of the week gets crowded.

Don't forget Give Thanks 4 on Thursday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment