Monday, November 25, 2013

Two posts in one day

So the last post was this morning, the next this evening... I didn't plan it, but it's the way it works out tonight. I might have found a viable alternative to my computer banishment in the form of cast-off laptops. I keep one for cross-country, running the timing system and such. It's slow, but for the purposes of blogging it should be fine. Plus I will keep it updated better this way, so I'll give it a shot.

The day turned out better for training than I imagined. After school there was a lift, and it was a good one. For the first time in months I was able to do dips. So what, you say? Dips are one of the best exercises for swimmers because of how they isolate tricep muscles in a swim-specific motion. I haven't been able to do them because of a shoulder injury, but apparently it is sufficiently healed for me to add dips to my regimen. It's been a slow recovery, but I'm happy to say it appears it may be nearly complete.

I wish the same could be said for my hips. I have been working, core, stretching, and doing leg workouts like never before. If it's helping, I can't tell. The hips hurt like they always have. Well, the hip. Left, to be exact. Arthritis? Tendinitis? I have no idea. I just know it hurts. All. Day. Long. And into the night, too.

When I saw Scott at the run, I knew there'd be some fast in it. And there was. What I didn't expect was who would be fast. I warmed up with Jimmy, John T., and Bartlett. Scott edged away almost right away. I let it go until we hit Southland Church of Christ. I had to catch him on the drive because I knew he'd go over the hill. I wasn't going to lose that distance to him this week. We ran down, then up 27th to U Street, then caught back up with the guys. By now we were already working up a head of steam, so we passed through and on. We wound up taking Washington all the way down to 29th, returning to the Hair Company just as the guys got there.

Now I thought we'd pass through again and leave them behind. I had just commented how I didn't feel too bad leaving Jimmy behind when there were others back there - I didn't want him to rehab alone - when Scott said, "Jimmy's about to pass you!"

I thought he was joking. He wasn't. Jimmy decided to go with us, to test his knees. He did a great job hanging in there for as little as he's been able to run. The last mile was under 7 minutes, and the whole run under 8. Not a bad 5 miles for him.

After the run, Jimmy and Scott went to the Energy Lab for a spin. I went home for dinner. Leisa cooked a pot roast, which was great, but then I had to spin almost right away. That's right, I said this morning I probably wouldn't spin. Well, I did.

It actually went pretty well. I had the new Garmin attachment for cadence and speed, enabling me to spin inside with Garmin data. The bike, newly repaired, felt great. The Garmin worked okay, but it did drop out a couple of times. I have some adjustments to make I think, but there's nothing there that can't be fixed.

So... that's 10 miles running and 20 riding already this week. Expressed another way, my week is one-third done in two days. It's just as well. Tomorrow there's a swim meet. Thursday is Thanksgiving. I'll be off after tomorrow, but I have a feeling there won't be much spare time...

No comments:

Post a Comment