Friday, November 15, 2013

Week Enough

Thirty miles, 40 miles, and no swim. That's a week as far as I'm concerned. Of course that's run, ride, and no swim, in case you're wondering. There is the internal struggle to get more because I have another day left in the week, but to be honest, my hips hurt pretty badly right now. I need to get that under control before I resume volume again.

I'm hoping it's residue from the race and a hard schedule over the year. If that's true, a little rest here won't hurt, and things should resolve themselves quickly. I'm not taking any chances though. I'm doing strength training to help build up core and hips. See, there's a chance they are weak enough to give me trouble.

See what I did there? Week enough? Weak enough? hah!

There are maybe seven weeks until January, and that's when the heavy training usually resumes. Usually. The urge is strong to dive in and get it going. Exercise compulsion is a terrible mistress. I'm not afraid of keeping quality up, I just don't feel ready for quantity.

Tonight I needed a little over a 5k to make the week. I planned to lift, then run 3.2 miles. The lift went fine, though I wasn't in the mood for it. Fortunately the gym was relatively clear and I had clean sailing through all the units I needed to hit. Total time was at a minimum, and it was home to get ready for the run.

It was lucky I planned a short one, because the rain was on its way - or so it appeared. Dark clouds gathered to the south, and I took a brisk first few steps to get it over with as quickly as possible. Effort level was a 7.5 out of 10, steady but not too difficult. It would have been difficult to have easy conversation is how I would rate it. Pace was 6:41, starting at 7:00 and working its way down to 6:26. Sharp, not difficult.

Leisa and I were without kids tonight - they had their own plans - so we hit dinner and a movie. Casa Brava and then "Thor", and neither disappointed. I'll skip the description of the meal - was Mexican, so that means meat, sauce, and a shell. Lather, rinse, repeat. Let's get to the movie itself.

"Thor" was pretty darn good. Casting was excellent, especially Tom Hiddleston's Loki. There is a delightfully sinister quality to every nuance of his character, and Hiddleston seems born for the part. Chris Hemsworth is thoroughly satisfying as the conflicted Norse god, and the movie does justice to his torn allegiance. Even Natalie Portman holds her own opposite Hemsworth, displaying her customary blend of strength and weakness.

Introduced this installment are the "Dark Elves", beings that despise the current universe and long for the return of the old. The obvious dark vs. light, good vs. evil allegory is not lost, but doesn't come off too corny. Hey, it's a comic book. It's not supposed to be too difficult to grasp.

Overall rating: 4 out of 5 hammers

No comments:

Post a Comment