Thursday, April 12, 2012

FAST!

The track meet took waaay longer than I though it would. You know, I thought I was being so smart to pick high jump as an event. How long could it take? How about the opposing team's bus was long gone by the time we got done. It went way over schedule, so my plans were upended.

I considered not riding at all, as if it was a cosmic sign perhaps I shouldn't. Since I don't believe in astromony and all that star-predicting stuff, I ignored the tea leaves and loaded up. I'm glad I did.

Now it could be that I'll be sorry for what happened. No. Come what may, I'm glad rode. I decided to do something different tonight, altering the normal ride for something I don't often do. Since it was so late and traffic so light, I opted to continue on 37 all the way to Mitchell. All the way. If you ride to KFC from my house it's nearly a perfect 10-miler one-way.

There was no wind to speak of. The air was cool but not cold. Traffic was light. The pedals seemed light. In short, it was the perfect time, the perfect place, and the perfect conditions to ride. I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

I didn't crush. Keeping constant pressure on the pedals, the miles peeled away quickly. At 10 miles I was under 27 minutes - and it's uphill most of the way to Mitchell. That meant I would probably be under 54 for the ride if I only held pace. Easy.

As I expected, the way back was even faster. Slowly dropping altitude until the cut kept the speed up. The cut? Yeah, it hurt the average, but that's the gig. Out-and-back means the cut twice, once up, once down. No need to whine about it.

The final number was 52:58. That's over 22.6 mph, the fastest training 20 I've ever done. It's a legit time, totally, because it was out and back on the same course exactly. Yes, I'll keep it.

Went to swim after, but it took a little time to get in. It was crowded! Eventually I did get in for a short one, and the day was done.

Tomorrow Galloway and I will ride at 11 AM from Lighthouse. Jimmy and I will run from the office at 5. I'll get a lift in too, then that will be it before Boston. 

No comments:

Post a Comment