Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Go, just go

Spring is a fun time of year even as it's a trying time of year. You have to love the earth coming back to life, the green of the fields, the flowers, the trees, warmer temperatures... so much to love. On the other hand, it's also a time when training levels go back up, and it can be challenging to drag out to do yet another workout.

Saturday's 20 lingered into yesterday's run, and ultimately the bike and swim. I felt tapped in all of the above, yet completed everything. That's experience. It's supposed to be tiring when you are building up, it's something that must be endured if there is to be a clear reward later (in the form of great races).

Today was a bit better, so much so I put the bike first, even on a day when the run is the emphasis. The tempo was scheduled as a 3-miler at 6:30 pace. It wasn't supposed to be particularly hard, just a sharp workout. I figured it wouldn't be fun regardless of what I did before, so I dragged out the Kestrel and went for a ride.

The wind was odd tonight. It was a west/northwest/southwest deal which effectively means it was more-or-less in my face the whole ride. It wasn't terribly strong, just always there. It didn't peel too much off my speed. I hit 20.7 mph for the average, more because of being stopped for traffic than anything. It's getting to the place where holding 20-21 mph on this ride is routine.

Just for clarity's sake, when I say "20-21 mph" I mean the average speed, not every single moment I'm on the bike. What I have mastered is the course. I know where to take it a little easier and where to make the time. There'll be times I'm at 15 and times I'm at 30, but generally if I'm on a flat it's 20-22 mph. Cruising.

Later in the run, we readied for our respective tempos. Nick, Josh, and Aaron comprised the 5:45 group; Jimmy, Miller, Rowan, and I made up the first chase group at 6:30; Allen, Robin, WinD, and Kathy had similar time goals of around 8 minutes and were in the next group, and; Dan was the sole member of the late group.

We had a great vantage point from which to watch the lead runners. They of course extended quickly away from us, but they were still in sight for the entirety of the run. They appeared to be under the first mile, slowed a great deal the second mile, and a bit more on the third. Aaron fell off the first mile, caught up, then Josh fell off, leaving Nick and Aaron to finish together. Josh trailed maybe 20 seconds back, and I finished 20 seconds back of him.

Yup, I was gaining, slowly but surely. Our group had started slightly behind theirs, maybe 10 seconds at most, and midway through the run I saw it was pointless for me to try to hold designated pace. I was up, comfortable, and gaining on the next group. Might as well see what could happen. 6:20, 6:20, 6:17 and it was easy. Looking beyond Boston, I like how Terre Haute is shaping up (if I do it). My goal is to run 6:15's, and I think it would be an easy goal to hit.

Jimmy, Miller, and Rowan finished a bit behind, and they too were under their goals. I was 33 under, they were 18 (15 second separation). The rest of the group hit their numbers, and I'd say generally speaking the Boston group is looking pretty solid. If we can all stay healthy for a couple more weeks, it should be a fun day for everyone.

Tomorrow is just a 5-mile run, swim, and lift. I pushed the lift to tomorrow because it balances the week better and made no difference in the overall scheme of things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment