Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ride, Run, Rift

It wasn't promising for a ride tonight. Checking the iPhone app (weatherbug) showed swatches of green splashed all over the Lawrence/Orange county region, and the car windshield displayed the visceral evidence. I was just off work, going through the motions of getting the backup bike ready to go, balanced on the edge of going or not going.

It will be tough to get the week in as it is. I lost yesterday due to winds, and today looked like a loss as well. That would give me four more days for riding, but the weather doesn't look any better as the week goes on. Finally, almost with the toss of the coin, I went for it.

Time only allowed a 20, and the course would have to be Mitchell. The wind was steady from the northwest, so going out wouldn't be a problem; coming home could be. Thankful for the extra 15 minutes before the run tonight, I pedaled steadily south.

On Rabbitsville I spotted Mike's Tracker parked at Lighthouse. I considered stopping to wait, but I hadn't the time. The other consideration was to reverse at 10 and meet them coming back. In the end I didn't have the time, so I did the regular bit. I went down 37 at a good clip, making it home in under an hour.

Turns out it was the smart way to go. I met the gang at Parkview, and lo and behold there was Strunk! Turns out he was going to meet Mike, but they bailed due to... drum roll... RAIN! What?! I pointed out I spotted them there when I rode by, but Strunk is too cool to be phased by that. He passed the blame off to Allen and Mike.

Jimmy and I did the tempo, 3 miles at a 6:50 goal. Of course we didn't. The first was 6:49, close, but the next? 6:36. The last, uphill mile? 6:41. It wasn't hard, really. I could hold it all the way through a mini, I know. I could have done it tonight, and I'd ridden 20. Kathy ran pretty solid, holding under 7:45 average on an 8-minute goal.  Robin tossed in a couple of sub-7:45 miles.

After the run I went right over to the gym. It was packed. The gym was conducting a membership drive, and I'd say it's working. With the promo going on, I waded into the crowd. I didn't want to have to come back later, because I knew if I went home I would stay home. The lift went well, despite having to work around so many folks.

That's a complete day! Over 2 hours of working out will stimulate the ol' metabolism.

Ride tomorrow, run, and swim. Thursday is a track meet. Friday looks like a 9 AM swim, 11 AM ride. Run, perhaps after the ride.

Oh, and for what it's worth, McDonald's built a team starting in 2008 with the Tour de France in mind. As yet, they've not put together a team good enough for an invite to the race. 

No comments:

Post a Comment