Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tit for tat

I got called out on an error in yesterday's post, and though normally I have a heartfelt desire to quickly correct my mistakes, the unnecessary pains this person put me through to extract three simple pieces of information induces me to respond in cryptic kind.

Correction: 37, 27, 19

It threatened to rain again as I set my mind to a ride. Since I got lucky yesterday, I decided to go ahead and give it a shot again. This time I had more factors in my favor.

1. The wind was from the southeast, which meant tailwind home. That meant anytime I needed to turn around, I'd get an instant boost.

2. I was on the Airfoil. It's a faster bike, so I would be able to get to the turnaround faster. Not a bad idea if you have rain forming in the area.

I got low and stayed there, pushing the pedals southward into darkening skies. The heavens spat their disdain for me in small driplets, scattered widely and landing ineffectively. This only made the clouds grow angrier, and near the 8-mile mark I began to wonder if perhaps I should turn back. As a gambler by nature, there was only one thing to do; roll the dice, accept my fate.

Once I turned west, things got a little easier. I had a quartering tailwind, and that pushed me the final mile or so to the highway, where things really took off. To 10 miles I'd averaged 20 mph into a steady headwind. Things of course really picked up once on the highway, where I topped out at 35 mph. All of the way north on 37 was between 27 and 33 mph average. Of course there was still the cut, but even that was easier because of wind. Up Washington Ave I was still carrying 25 mph.

In the end it totaled 54:15, a little over 22 mph average. That's a nice ride.

I met Sully, Kathy, Robin, and Jimmy at the office at 5, and we ran 5. Nothing spectacular there, and other than the aforementioned butt chewing, it was a modest paced run of 39 minutes. Late in the run it began to rain, a steady and quite pleasant event, and the run ended in peace. And that was the day (no swim).

There is a track meet tomorrow at Parkview, which I am working, and Kathy and I have a planned run after (around 6 PM).

Friday, 9 AM swim, 11 AM ride from Lighthouse, 60 miles (weather permitting). 

No comments:

Post a Comment