Monday, April 9, 2012

If this is taper...

Man, didn't feel "tapered" tonight. The only workout I did was a 5-mile run, and it didn't feel good until the end. The guys were talking about how great the Boston forecast looked, then I just read a Twitter post that suggested a high of 80 that day.

Uh-oh. I've done that before.

On the positive side of things, I have absolutely no time goal in mind. I know I can survive a slow coast to the city if I can carry a drink with me, which is exactly what I plan to do. Those hot 20's with Jimmy this cycle have given me the confidence I can do it. It'll be like a 26.2 mile parade. I'll practice my royal wave. It'll be cool.

All this considered, I'm not going to worry much about treating this like a race. I will train pretty much normally, maybe slightly reduced, then rest the last couple of days. I don't want to be hurt going in is all. There have been slight high-calf twinges, so I've eased off for those. That is my concern, not the race from now on.

Another benefit of a warmer day is it'll be easy to wait for race start in balmy weather. Other than the dread, that is. Heh.

Tomorrow we are going to do a simple workout featuring perhaps some strides. It won't be hard at all. I'll ride before. I think at this point I'll ride the next two days, then Friday. I'll run again Wednesday and Friday, lifting also twice more this week. I want to pick up training again seamlessly after we get back next week, focusing on riding. Twenty miles per week running, riding moving up to 150-200. 

No comments:

Post a Comment