Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sore calves

After the track meet tonight, Kathy and I did an easy 5-miler down to the circle and back. We were a bit over 39 minutes, not a hard run, but my calves were twinging off-and-on throughout. It's something that has crept in bit-by-bit over the last month, I even felt it at Boston some, but tonight after the run my calves are sore.

That's worth noting.

I won't run on 'em tomorrow, and I will most likely just jog the race on Saturday. For that matter, I won't run hard at all until Indy, and if things don't straighten out, I won't run Indy.

The thing to bear in mind is I did bike HARD last night, and pretty hard the night before. I also ran hard Tuesday, or at least, harder. With a brick on both Tuesday and Wednesday, I might have pushed things a bit further than I should so soon after the marathon. At least, those are my initial thoughts on the matter.

Of course it may all be nonsense. After all, I'm Buff Bill at the moment. That's right, I'm still pumped full of the testosterone injection that I achieve naturally when I go to the gun shop and chisel my guns. Good thing the gym is full of mirrors so I can adore myself from every angle. Anyway, my viewpoint is not currently that of a distance athlete, but of a self-adoring, narcissistic (redundant?) body nazi.

There is a swim tomorrow at 9 AM, followed by a ride at 11 AM at Lighthouse. Allen wants 65 or so, so I am thinking of ways to make everyone happy. What I think we might do is do the normal loop, turn at the Bernards, doing the Bernard loop a couple of times. That would add 33 miles to a 31, making 64. If he wants to fight over the last mile, we can stretch one of the loops further out. Anyway, that gives us a stop if we need it every 16 miles or so, Galloway can ride with us most of the first loop (and anyone else who's available), and we should have a gentle introduction to longer rides.

I guess the other alternative would be to ride the Amish loop to Orleans, then head out to the Washington/Orange line, then come back. The wind will be from the east, making the return leg pretty fast. It's a tempting option.

I'll let Allen decide tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment