Monday, April 2, 2012

Taper and triple

I'm supposed to be on taper, though it'd be hard to tell at the moment. Tonight was a run, ride, and swim. None of them were long, but they combined for around two hours of training.

When I got home from work I was pretty beat, sore, and mentally out of it. I decided to skip the ride for then, leaving the possibility of riding after the run if I felt better. This was a lie; the chances of feeling better about riding after running were slim at best.

The run sure didn't seem to open the possibility up much. It felt awful and sluggish. It got better by the end, however. The time wasn't awful, and since I felt a bit looser and there was plenty of daylight left, I decided if I could get a quick bite to eat and get on the bike by 6:30, I'd go for a short ride.

Dinner put away, I was riding by 6:28. The northeast wind meant I would have a harder time of it coming back, but there was nothing to do for it but to go. Easing south, I kept telling myself to just get to the turn and nothing else would matter. At 10 miles I was just barely under 20 mph average. This would likely drop, I thought, as I turned north.

It didn't. Despite the wind, despite being tired, I dropped into aero and carried at least 23 mph all the way to the bridge at the cut. As a result the finishing average was exactly 21 mph. It turned out to be a much better ride than I'd anticipated, and well worth the effort.

Twenty minutes later Erin and I were headed to the pool for a quick swim. A thousand yards of pull was all I did. Erin swam quite a bit more, so I took the time to help a few people with strokes. And so the day ended.

Tomorrow is Tempo Tuesday, the last before Boston I suspect. We're doing 3 miles at a moderate pace, 7.3 total. It shouldn't be that hard of a workout, so I'll ride before if it isn't pouring rain by then.

Reminder: ride Thursday from Lighthouse Books, 5 PM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment