Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Reflecting, and then some

There is a period of time after a hard effort, especially one as stressful as the 2012 Boston Marathon, where you're caught between the "not-quite-mentally-sharp-again" malaise of post-race recovery and the "it's-too-far-back-to-remember-clearly" eventuality. I find myself there at the moment, trying to collect my thoughts about what's transpired. As promised, I plan to devote a great deal of space to it in a for-print version of OTR, so there will be more. For now, I spend what little free time I've had since being back trying to reflect on it.

I got a good chance on today's ride. That's right, I drove down to Lighthouse and rode the Amish country, a full day ahead of the planned group ride. I felt I needed to do something, and so long as I could stay in the relative flat of the area, and given the wind was almost not there at all, it seemed like a decent idea.

I'm glad I didn't go for more. It was a good ride in that I averaged 20 mph with no push. What was bad was I had a really hard time finding a focus of any kind. That's definitely a sign to me I haven't recovered completely from the race. As if I didn't know that already from the sore quads, biceps, shoulders, etc...

It was a beautiful day. Light wind, blue skies, green pastures and trees... it's too lovely for words. Perfect temperatures didn't hurt a bit, either. Too bad my mind kept wandering off to oblivion. I could have enjoyed it so much more had I been present in mind.

Jimmy texted me while I was out, asking for quotes for the newspaper article to come. I thought of a few, but I think I settled on this one:

"I could not have asked for a better group of friends with whom to endure the nearly unendurable."

You like that? For me, the weekend could best be summed up in that sentence. It was a fun trip interrupted by a hot run. I really enjoyed getting to hang out with the guys in a city I really do love.

Enough mushy. Tomorrow we ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment