Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lonely ride, of course

There was no doubt in my mind I would be riding alone today. It had turned colder, it was windy, and it seemed everyone had something else to do. So when I arrived and no one else was there, I wasn't a bit surprised.

That's the good thing about Lighthouse - it isn't hard mentally to start from there, because you don't have the cut staring you in the face at the end. It's a flat course, it goes fast, and it's pretty. The Milky Way and Diet Coke thingy in the middle doesn't hurt my motivation a bit, either. Everyone needs a carrot, but truth be told, I don't like carrots. Give me the Milky Way.

As mentioned, it was much cooler and windier today than the last few days. Despite this, I was able to hold 19.7 mph without really trying at all. Give that to the flat course, I guess. I did ride aero all the way, which helps a lot. Other than a soreness in the middle-upper back, I've nothing to complain about doing so.

Speaking of back, going on two days without low back pain. I can't believe it. I'm thinking of getting one of those "______ days since an accident" signs in front of my house, except of course it would say, "______ days since low back pain". It's not like I'd have to buy a lot of numbers or anything.

Erin still didn't feel like swimming, but since I want to hit at least two days a week, I went. It was a bit crowded, more than April normally has. I was able to jump into a lane with Hein, but I must have done something wrong because within 200 yards he left the lane. Fine by me. I was able to complete my workout very quickly and get out before two others joined me. Lucky too - they didn't look like swimmers. It would have been a chore to pass them over and over.

Allen is getting better every time I see him. Rand is working hard on him. In fact Rand is working hard on a lot of people. I spoke to another fellow that complimented Rand's coaching. Way to go, Rand!

We are riding tomorrow from Lighthouse Books, 12:15. Allen needed a slight change of time due to a previous engagement. Makes no difference to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment